Bibliography on Teaching the Mahabharata
Complied by Tracy Coleman from RISA-L discussions
1) John Brockington's, The Sanskrit Epics. Leiden: Brill, 1998. Very useful text and bibliography.
2) Jim Fitzgerald's web pages on The Mahabharata.
3) Forthcoming article by Jim Fitzgerald, written for The Hindu World, edited by G, Thursby and S. Mittal (Routledge).
4) Sullivan, Bruce, "Temple Rites and Temple Servants: The Role of Religion in the Survival of Kerala's Kutiyattam Drama Tradition," International Journal of Hindu Studies 1 (1997): 97-115.
________. "The Unworshipped Avatar: Vyasa's Relationships with Visnu and Brahma," Journal of Vaisnava Studies 4, no.3 (Summer, 1996): 57-64.
________. "Tapati-Samvaranam, a Kutiyattam Drama by Kulasekhara Varman." Introduced by Bruce M. Sullivan. Translated, with notes, by Bruce M. Sullivan and N. P. Unni. Asian Theatre Journal 13, no. 1 (Spring, 1996): 26-53.
________. "The Religious Authority of the Mahabharata: Vyasa and Brahma in the Hindu Scriptural Tradition," Journal of the American Academy of Religion 62, 2 (Summer, 1994): 377-401.
5) Sally Sutherland, "Sita and Drauapadi: Aggressive Behavior and Female Role-Models in the Sanskrit Epics," JAOS,109 #1 (1989): 63-79.
6) On Peter Brook's film "Mahabharata"
7) J.A.B. van Buitenen's Introduction to his 'bi-lingual' translation of the Bhagavad-gita.
8) Journal of Vaisnava Studies 4, no.3 (Summer, 1996): Mahabharata Issue
Revised: September 29, 2002