University Teaching and Learning Showcase
The 7th Annual University Teaching and Learning Showcase!
Registration Now Open:
The Research Academy for University Learning
invites all faculty and staff and
the campus community to register now for topics and sessions
of their particular interest:
May 11, 2016
University Hall 7th Floor Conference Center
8:30am - 2:00pm
2016 Annual Showcase Schedule and Sessions
(please note that this are subject to change and modifications as we work to finalize the schedule and session offerings):
Full session descriptions are available here (opens as PDF): 2016 7th Annual University Showcase Abstracts.
This year's event features the following door prizes and giveaways!
- BracketTron SmartLantern - utility LED light and USB charger in one! Retail value: $75.00
- Optimus Portable Charger for Smartphones and Tablets! Retail value: $83.00
- Elizabeth Barkley's Engaged Learning Trilogy: Student Engagement Techniques (2010); Collaborative Learning Techniques (2014); and Learning Assessment Techniques (2016). Retail value: $110.00
- Many more to be announced!
See the topic areas outlined below:
- Undergraduate research (student involvement in, student-initiated, student presentations of, etc.);
- Active and Engaged Learning (syllabus design, assignment design, in and out of class activities, effective online assignments, community building, group work, engaging classroom discussions, etc.);
- Faculty and Student Panels on Mediating Conversations on Critical Ethical Issues on Campus and in the Classroom (this is the culmination of an ongoing series of campus discussions regarding how to mediate conversations in the classroom around ethical issues; initial meeting was held on February 17);
- Faculty Research and Writing (time management, proposal writing, organizing research, conversations about the challenges of conducting research and writing);
- Teaching with Technology and Online Student Engagement (assignment design, setting up discussion boards, challenges of, how to structure, creating learning modules, working with Canvas, etc.);
- Writing Across the Disciplines (student writing in the discipline (science, technical, research, analyses); designing writing assignments for deep learning, to prevent plagiarism, getting students to read to strengthen their writing, etc.);
- Assessment (forms of learning assessment, what does "effort" means, formative versus summative assessments of learning, to rubric or not to rubric, etc.).
Sponsored and with Contributions by:
The Office of the Provost
The Gender, Sexuality, and Women Studies Program
The Research Academy for University Learning
The Office of Equity & Diversity
The Office of Information Technology
In partnership with the Gender, Sexuality, and Women Studies (GSWS) Program, the Research Academy is proud to co-sponsor a presentation by Dr. Eben Kirksey, Visiting Professor in Environment and Humanities at Princeton University, titled: "Inter-Disciplinary Learning Through Multi-Species Pedagogy."
This presentation is a preview of the practice-based faculty development opportunities that will be further presented at the Annual Showcase.
Schedule and Materials from the 6th Annual Teaching and Learning Showcase, May 8, 2015:
The Research Academy for University Learning, with the support of the Office of the Provost, is proud to announce that full sessions registration will is now open for the 6th Annual University Teaching and Learning Showcase. Please view the full schedule of sessions below, and click on the image or the following link to register today!
Please register here: https://msusurveys.montclair.edu/index.php/861164/lang-en
Please download the full session titles and abstracts here: 2015 University Showcase full titles and abstracts (PDF download).
**Note that certificates of attendace are available to any person who request them. Please send your request to firstname.lastname@example.org, and be sure that you have officially registered and checked in on the day of the Showcase.**
The Research Academy is extremely proud of and grateful to all the Montclair State faculty and staff who will be presenting sessions and otherwise contributing to this once-a-year faculty development event. We would like to thank the following partners and co-sponsors of this event:
Office of the Provost
Office of the Associate Provost for Academic Affairs
The Engaged Teaching Program Fellows and Mentors
The Women & Gender Studies Program (WMGS)
Center for Writing Excellence (CWE)
Center for Advising and Student Transitions (CAST)
ADP Center for Learning Technologies
Center for Community Engagement
Center for Career Services and Cooperative Education
6th Annual University Showcase Preview of Sessions:
8:30AM - Sign-In, Breakfast, and Opening (University Conference Center, 7th Floor University Hall)
9:00AM - 10:05AM - Dr. Mel Michelle Lewis, Goucher College, presents "Transformative Pedagogies: Intersectionality and Critical
Feminist Instruction as Social Justice Praxis," co-sponsored by the Women & Gender Studies Program. Jump to full talk description!
10:05AM - 10:20AM - Catered break and Poster Session #1 (University Conference Center, 7th Floor University Hall)
10:25AM -11:15AM Morning Sessions A, B, C, D, and E (Conference Center break-out rooms, see full program titles and abstracts here: 2015 University Showcase full titles and abstracts (PDF download).
11:20PM - 12:10PM -Morning Sessions Two A, B, C, D, and E (Conference Center break-out rooms, see full program titles and abstracts here: 2015 University Showcase full titles and abstracts (PDF download).
12:15PM - 1:00PM - Networking and Lunch (University Conference Center, 7th Floor University Hall)
1:05PM - 2:20PM - Keynote Presentation: Dr. Patrick Blessinger presents "