Research Academy for University Learning
What We're All About
We encourage, facilitate, and contribute to a faculty conversation about how university students learn, how we can best foster that learning, and how we and our students can best understand its nature and progress.
Coming up! Fall 2016...
- September 30, 2016 - Effective Discussions: Techniques That Work - Julie Dalley and Kathryn Curto lead a discussion and interactive workshop on how to facilitate effective and production discussions that meet learning goals. Techniques such as how to be sure students are prepared (have done the reading, for example), think/pair/share, fishbowl discussions, jigsaw activities, and much more will be presented. Learn more and register here....
- Provost Series on University Teaching and Learning - October 14, 2016 - "Should I Cancel Class?": Responding to Difficult Issues in the Classroom - Featuring guest speaker and inclusive pedagogies expert Dr. Becky Wai-Ling Packard, Professor of Psychology and Education at Mount Holyoke College. Learn more and register here: ...
- October 26, 2016 - "Getting It Done": Faculty Writing and Balance: Tony Spanakos and Julie Dalley lead a discussion on how to balance writing, research, and teaching, with specific strategies to address the increasing demands of scholarship and teaching. The work of Robert Boice, Ernest Boyer, Kevin Gannon, and David Allen will be presented and discussed, with real practices and strategies developed. Learn more and register here:
- May 2, 2016: Special guest speaker Dr. Eben Kirksey: https://queeringthesciences.wordpress.com/2016/01/10/queer-ecologies/
- 7th Annual University Teaching and Learning Showcase, May 11, 2016. Registration Now Open: http://www.montclair.edu/academy/events/university-showcase/
Past Events (Fall 2015 and Spring 2016):
- Spring 2016 Faculty and Student Panels on Mediating Conversations on Critical Ethical Issues on Campus and in the Classroom: Learn more and RSVP now: https://msusurveys.montclair.edu/index.php/876129/lang-en
- Spring Dates Now Confirmed! e-Dialogues and Teaching Circles: http://www.montclair.edu/academy/events/teaching-circles/
- Due March 14: Engaged Teaching Fellows Program Call for Applications: http://www.montclair.edu/academy/engaged-teaching-fellows-program/
- The 6th Annual University Teaching and Learning Showcase announces two special guest speakers! Dr. Mel Michelle Lewis, Assistant Professor, Women, Gender & Sexuality Studies at Goucher College, and Keynote Dr. Patrick Blessinger, Executive Director & Chief Research Scientist, International HETL Association, St. John's University. Learn more about their talks and workshops here: http://www.montclair.edu/academy/events/university-showcase/
- Faculty Teaching Circle dates are now posted. Please visit our page to learn more: http://www.montclair.edu/academy/events/teaching-circles/
- Spring 2015 faculty development workshops are now being confirmed. Topics will include Mindfulness Teaching and Learning, Using Study Guides to Engage and Improve Student Reading Strategies, and more...
- The 2014 University Teaching and Learning Showcase Materials and Resources are available here. Click here to access handouts, Powerpoint presentations.
- To suggest your own event or program, and to provide feedback on programs and events you would like to see offered through the Research Academy, please click here to take our very brief (5 minutes) Needs Assessment Survey:
- September 22, 2014 - Annual Day of Mindfulness.
- May 2, 2014 - The 5th Annual University Teaching and Learning Showcase will be held on May 2, 2014. Learn more about the Showcase...
To access research, classroom activities and ongoing programs about the emerging practices of contemplative pedagogy, please visit...
The Teaching Times
The Research Academy publishes a bi-annual newsletter with original articles, events, and resources all directly related to engaging the higher education community on issues in teaching and learning.
Read the latest issue...