Transfer Student Checklist

Now that you’ve been accepted to Montclair State, your next step is to enroll as a full-fledged Red Hawk.

Use the checklist below for guidance.

Step 1
Know your Campus Wide ID (CWID) and PIN

Check your acceptance letter for your CWID and PIN. Your PIN is your six-digit birthday (MMDDYY). You will need them to submit your New Student Deposit.

If you misplace your CWID and PIN, contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at 973-655-4444 or email us at

Step 2
Tell us you're coming to Montclair State

Visit to pay your deposit. To pay your deposit, use your Campus Wide ID (CWID) provided at the bottom of your acceptance letter. Log in using your CWID, the eight-digit number without the letter “M”, and your PIN, which is your six-digit date of birth (MMDDYY).

If you are planning to live on campus, submit your non-refundable Housing Deposit by Monday, May 1. Housing is guaranteed for transfer students who submit their housing deposit by May 1. Once we have processed your New Student Deposit and Housing Deposit, you may complete the online Housing Application at Click “Housing Assignments” to access the application.

Step 3
Obtain your NetID

Your NetID is your Montclair State email account login ID and your ID for other web-based University systems. Claim your NetID at once your New Student Deposit is submitted and processed.

Please note, your NetID cannot be claimed until you complete the New Student Deposit payment process.

Step 4
Schedule a Meeting with Your Advisor

Start smart! Be sure to schedule a meeting with your academic advisor. Your advisor, a professional staff member from your chosen School/College, will help you select your courses for your first semester at Montclair State.

Contact information for your specific advisor can be found online at:

To make the most of your time, review your degree audit before your meeting and schedule your meeting ahead of your Transfer Student Orientation (TSO).

Fall 2018 Transfer Students: plan to schedule a meeting with your advisor during the Spring 2018 semester.

Step 5
Register for and attend Orientation

All new students must attend MANDATORY Transfer Student Orientation, coordinated by the Office of Academic Success & Retention Programs (ASRP). Transfer Student Orientation is designed to support your introduction to the University. Click here to register online.

Incoming adult students should call 973-655-4162 for orientation information.

Fall 2018 Transfer Students: plan to register for Transfer Student Orientation during the Spring 2018 semester.

Step 6
Review your Degree Audit

To learn how courses are transferred to Montclair State and to understand their course equivalencies, log into the NEST student services website at Enter your CWID and your PIN and click on “register for classes” at the top of the page. Go to the “Degree Audit” look and click on “DegreeWorks.”

Please note that your audit will be available for your review online shortly after you receive your acceptance notification.

Learn more about our Transfer Credit Appeals Process.

Step 7
Fulfill mandatory immunization requirements

The University Health Center ( oversees mandatory student enrollment health requirements.

To complete these requirements:

  1. Download and print the immunization forms from the University Health Center
  2. Have your health care provider complete and sign the forms. Records from your high school or another university may be submitted in place of these forms.
  3. Enter your immunization record information from the forms into the online My Health application. Scan and upload your paperwork into the My Health portal. Please note that the University Health Center is no longer accepting documentation in paper form. Therefore, please do not mail completed forms to the University. Instead, scan and upload all documents online in the portal.

Please note that you will not be considered compliant until you have submitted your immunization record information online and until the University Health Center has received and validated the actual forms.

Step 8
Assure adequate health insurance coverage

All full-time Montclair State students are required to have health insurance coverage. We will automatically enroll you in the University’s Student Health Insurance Plan.

If you have private health insurance coverage, you must waive this enrollment by showing proof of other insurance by going to and completing the waiver process.

For details about the Montclair State University Health Insurance Plan, go to, or

Step 9
Register for placement tests

All transfer students with fewer than 24 credit hours need to complete appropriate testing—or receive exemption—prior to registering for coursework.

The Montclair State University Placement Test (MSUPT) lets us assess your current level of academic preparedness. We administer the Accuplacer for reading and mathematics placement testing. If your major requires General Chemistry I, you must also take the Chemistry Readiness Test.

Complete and submit the Placement Test Reply FormPlease note that you should return the form within ONE week of being accepted to Montclair State.

For testing criteria and to determine if you are exempt from testing, please click here.

If, after taking the reading portion of the MSUPT, it is determined that you need remediation, you will be required to complete the remedial reading course during the summer before fall entry or the winter before spring entry. You will not be able to enroll for classes until you complete the required remedial reading course. For more information about our reading remediation policy, visit our website.

Incoming transfer students may also need to take a foreign language placement test. Go to find out if you need to take this test, and to register for it, if necessary.

Step 10
Save Time! Submit your own photo for your University ID card

You won’t have to wait in line on Orientation day to have your photo taken for your University ID card as long as you submit your photo at least two days prior to Orientation. Your card will be distributed to you during Orientation.

Just go to the ID Card Office website to learn how.

Step 11
Submit your final transcripts

Make sure your final college and high school transcripts are submitted prior to the start of the semester to:

Montclair State University
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
1 Normal Avenue
Montclair, NJ 07043

The high school transcript requirement is waived for incoming transfer students who have earned an associate degree or 60+ credits from a four-year institution.

Step 12
Pay your student account

We offer a number of tuition payment options to meet your needs. Please visit to find out when bills are generated and how to make your payments.