Who is an Adult Student Applicant?
An adult student applicant is someone who is at least 25 years old and who has never attended college or has not taken college-level courses in at least two years. An adult student applicant is someone who is interested in working toward a bachelor’s degree, either full or part time.
Adult Student Admission Standards
As an adult student applicant, your application will be considered based on a holistic review of the required credentials. In order for us to make an informed admissions decision, we require the following credentials to be submitted in support of your application:
- Official transcripts (high school and/or college, depending on your level of study)
- Two letters of recommendation
- Personal statement
- Additional supporting documentation such as your résumé, awards, certificates, etc.
Submission of SAT or ACT scores is not required, but, if a student chooses to submit those scores, the scores will be considered in the admissions process.
Though we take all factors into consideration when reviewing an adult student application, the personal statement is a particularly integral part of the admission process. Your ability to describe your activities and intentions in a clear, concise and thoughtful manner will be evaluated during the application review process. Therefore, full consideration and thought should be given to the personal statement. When crafting your personal statement, you should demonstrate what you have learned both from formal education and from life experiences. The personal statement allows you the opportunity to demonstrate the educational value of your experiences and how they should be evaluated against a college curriculum.
Adult Student Application Requirements
In order to be considered for admission to Montclair State University as an adult student applicant, you must:
- Follow the requirements for either freshman or transfer students (depending on your educational background) and submit all necessary documentation. Choose the "CAL Freshman" or "CAL Transfer" type of application when applying online: Apply Now
- Submit a personal statement that demonstrates what you have learned through formal education and/or life experiences.
- Submit two letters of recommendation from someone familiar with your previous academic work or from someone who can comment on your background, experience, capacity to succeed and motivation (for example, an employer, co-worker, former professor).
Older Adult Program (OLA)
OLA, is a tuition waiver program for New Jersey residents who:
- Are at least 65 years of age
- Possess a high-school degree or its equivalent
The program allows eligible students to enroll at Montclair State University on a space-available basis with costs that include only administrative and student fees. Visit the OLA website for more information.
Don't forget to schedule a campus tour to see the campus for yourself and meet with students, faculty and staff if you have not yet visited us. We look forward to meeting you!
For questions regarding Adult Student applications or the OLA program, contact the coordinator for these programs, Amanda Basile.