Visiting & Non-Degree

Visiting Student Admission

Who is a Visiting Student Applicant?

If you are an undergraduate student (you have not been awarded a bachelor’s degree) who is currently enrolled and in good academic standing at a regionally accredited college or university, you are eligible to enroll as a visiting student. Enrollment as an undergraduate visiting student is a temporary status that Montclair State University makes available to students who are matriculated at other institutions.

Visiting Student Application Requirements

In order to be considered for admission to Montclair State University as visiting student applicant, you must submit:

  • A completed Visiting Student Application. Apply Now.

Important Information for Visiting Student Applicants:

The status of “visiting student” is limited to a maximum of two semesters, excluding summer sessions. After two semesters as a visiting student, you must file an application for admission to a degree program and be accepted before further enrollment will be permitted. If you have been denied regular admission to Montclair State University, you are not eligible to be a visiting student during the semester for which you applied. The Visiting Student Application Form is valid for one semester of classes only. A new form must be submitted each semester.

The Visiting Student Application becomes available approximately two months prior to the start of a semester. Once processed, you will be eligible to register for open courses during the online registration periods. If you are intending to enroll in the Fall or Spring semester, you can register for classes approximately two weeks before the start of the semester. If you intend to register for classes during the summer, you will be able to register in April, after completing the application. As a Visiting Student during the summer, you will be charged a one-time, $25 processing fee for the entire Summer Session upon your initial registration for one or more courses. For more specific information regarding Summer Sessions please refer to,

Registration may be completed up to and including the first meeting of the course as long as the course is open. It is advised that you register early to decrease the possibility of being closed out of classes. However, the University cannot guarantee that your preferred schedule will be available.

Registering For Classes:

If your application status on WESS is listed as "QA," then your application has been processed. You may then register for classes two weeks prior to the start of the semester by logging in to student services.

Non-Degree Admission

Who is a Non-Degree Applicant?

You are a non-degree applicant if you are not interested in pursuing an undergraduate degree but are interested in taking one or two credit-bearing courses. To qualify for non-degree admission, you must have received a high school diploma or its equivalency at least two years prior to you submitting your application.

Please note: Students previously denied admission to the University are ineligible to apply as non-degree applicants.

Non-Degree Application Requirements

In order to be considered for admission to Montclair State University as a non-degree applicant, you must:

  • Complete and submit the Non-Degree Admission Application.
  • Submit documentation showing proof of successful completion of your secondary education (a copy of your high school or equivalency diploma).
  • Submit the non-refundable application fee of $10.00 in the form of a check or money order drawn from a U.S. bank, made payable to Montclair State University.

Submit all materials to:

Office of Undergraduate Admissions
Montclair State University
1 Normal Avenue
Montclair, NJ 07043

Important Information for Non-Degree Applicants

Admission to the non-degree classification does not guarantee acceptance into a Montclair State University undergraduate degree program. A maximum of 12 credits may be applied toward the degree if you should choose to matriculate. As a non-degree student, you are not eligible for credit evaluations or academic advising. A non-degree application is valid for one semester of classes only. If you wish to retain non-degree status for more than one semester, you must resubmit the Non-Degree Application.