2014-2015 Audition Dates
Friday, November 7, 2014
Friday, February 7, 2015
Saturday, February 8, 2015
Friday, February 27, 2015
Saturday, February 28, 2015
Thursday, May 14, 2015
Applicants to the Cali School of Music must first submit an application to the University prior to requesting an audition appointment for all programs. Cali School online appications coming soon.
Important general notes:
- Admission is competitive and applications are processed as soon as we receive them. Apply early, especially if you have scheduling requirements due to religious, medical or other issues. An effort will be made to accommodate special requirements but this cannot be guaranteed.
- All students must pass an audition (by audition CD/DVD and/or in person, as applicable), and meet the University's requirements for admission. Applicants may not audition more than three times.
- For non-music majors: Only general education music courses are available to non-music majors who are admitted to the University but not to the School of Music.
- Music minors are not currently offered; when offered, an audition is required. An audition for any of the minors is a modified version of the audition for the major.
- International students, or those at a significant distance from Montclair, should ask about alternative application and audition procedures.
- Applications or required materials such as CDs or DVDs will not be considered if they are received after specified deadlines or later than 2 weeks before a chosen audition date.
- Musical Theatre auditions are not held at the Cali School: Apply here
STEP ONE -- Submit an application to Montclair State University
Before applying to the Cali School, all prospective students must first complete the application to the University offices of Undergraduate or Graduate Admissions:
STEP TWO -- Apply to the Cali School
- Read about your specific audition process below
- Choose an audition date from the list above
- Submit a Cali School audition application (which will be available Sept. 1st--you can apply to the University now). No audition application will be accepted within two weeks before your preferred audition date.
STEP THREE - Audition: Music Education
The audition process for both undergraduate and graduate applicants for this area of study includes:
- Audition on primary instrument or voice (see details for undergraduate and graduate auditions below
- Interview with faculty member*
- Music theory/aural skills placement test
- Music history syllabus review for undergraduate transfer students who wish to transfer music history credits: submit a course syllabus for each music history course for faculty review and approval.
* Cali School faculty members conduct interviews with prospective students to assess suitability for all programs except Instrumental/Vocal Performance. You may request an interview for one of these other concentrations so that if you are not accepted into your first choice, you may be accepted into this other area.
Audition Notes: Primary Instrument or Voice
Prospective students for all areas of study must demonstrate performance ability, knowledge of elementary music theory, and evidence of serious musical study. The audition process allows faculty to determine if a student has sufficient ability and training to benefit from a Cali School course of study.
Post-baccalaureate (certification) and graduate candidates are expected to demonstrate performance ability and knowledge of music equivalent to a completed B.A. or B.Mus. degree. Artist's Diploma and Performer's Certificate degree applicants should follow the procedures for graduate studies.
After completing your application to the University, follow these steps to complete your Cali School of Music application.
1. Review the audition requirements for your area of interest by clicking its name below:
2. Be prepared to:
- Perform on your primary instrument without an accompanist, voice with an accompanist to be provided
- Bring your own instrument (exception for percussion)
- Bring your own music as an instrumentalist, and music for the accompanist as a vocalist
- Take music theory test (used for placement if you are accepted to the School; different tests for freshmen, transfers, post-baccalaureate and graduate applicants)
- Transfer applicants only: submit a course syllabus for each music history course for faculty review and approval if you want to transfer credits
3. Complete the online application after September 1.
If you have any questions about the audition process, contact the Auditions Coordinator 973-655-7610 or firstname.lastname@example.org