2016-2017 Audition Dates
Applications must be completed no later than two weeks before a chosen audition date.
Friday, November 4, 2016: 2-5 pm (Transfers & graduates - except jazz transfers) - CLOSED
Friday, February 3, 2017: 2-5 pm (All applicants) - CLOSED
Saturday, February 4, 2017: 9 am - 2 pm (All applicants) - CLOSED
Friday, February 24, 2017: 2-5 pm (All applicants) - CLOSED
Saturday, February 25, 2017: 9 am - 2 pm (All applicants) - CLOSED
Thursday, May 11, 2017: 9 am - 2 pm (Tranfer and graduate applicants)
Step One -- Submit an application to Montclair State University
Before applying to the Cali School, all prospective students must first complete the application to the University offices of Undergraduate or Graduate Admissions:
Step Two - Apply to the Cali School
After applying to the University, all students must apply to the Cali School through Decision Desk (link below).
- Must audition on primary instrument or voice
- Interview with faculty member
- Jazz Music Education majors only - Audition information and Decision Desk application is available on the Jazz Studies page
- Transfer students only - To have faculty consider tranfer of music history credits, submit a course syllabus for each music history course you have completed
Graduate applicants (MA, MAT, BM & MAT combined, and Post Baccalaureate Certification applicants):
- Post Baccalaureate Certification applicants must schedule an audition and interview through Decision Desk.
- Master of Arts in Teaching Certification (MAT) applicants do not have to audition. However they must contact Professor Lisa DeLorenzo, the Graduate Education Coordinator, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an interview.
- Master of Arts (MA) applicants do not have to audition. However they must contact Professor Lisa DeLorenzo, the Graduate Education Coordinator, via email at email@example.com to schedule an interview.
Note: Faculty members interview all prospective students in Music Education in order to assess suitability.
After completing your application to the University:
1. Review the audition requirements for your academic level and area of interest:
2. For an online audition, prepare an audition video including specific requirements for your instrument or voice and upload it on the Decision Desk website. For live auditions, be prepared to:
- Perform on primary instrument without an accompanist; voice with an accompanist provided
- Bring your own instrument (exception for percussion)
- Bring your own music as an instrumentalist, and music for the accompanist as a vocalist
- Take music theory test that is used for placement if you are accepted to the School, if applicable for your degree
- Transfer students only - To have faculty consider tranfer of music history credits, submit a course syllabus for each music history course you have completed.
|3. Complete the online application at Decision Desk to schedule your audition.|
- Applications will be processed within two weeks.
- Applicants must satisfy both the audition criteria of the Cali School of Music as well as the academic criteria of the University.
- Non-music majors may only take general education music courses.
- Music minors are not currently offered.
- Musical Theatre auditions are not held at the Cali School: Apply here
If you have any questions about the audition process, contact the Auditions Coordinator 973-655-7610 or firstname.lastname@example.org