2016-2017 Audition Dates
Applications must be completed no later than two weeks before a chosen audition date.
Friday, November 4, 2016: 2-5 pm (Transfers & graduates - except jazz transfers) - CLOSED
Friday, February 3, 2017: 2-5 pm (All applicants)
Saturday, February 4, 2017: 9 am - 2 pm (All applicants)
Friday, February 24, 2017: 2-5 pm (All applicants)
Saturday, February 25, 2017: 9 am - 2 pm (All applicants)
Thursday, May 11, 2017: 9 am - 2 pm (Tranfer and graduate applicants)
Step One -- Submit an application to Montclair State University
Before applying to the Cali School, all prospective students must first complete the application to the University offices of Undergraduate or Graduate Admissions:
Step Two - Apply to the Cali School
After applying to the University, all students must apply to the Cali School through Decision Desk (link below).
- Must audition on primary instrument or voice
- Interview with faculty member
- Jazz Music Education majors only - Audition information and Decision Desk application is available on the Jazz Studies page
- Transfer students only - To have faculty consider tranfer of music history credits, submit a course syllabus for each music history course you have completed
Graduate applicants (MA, MAT, BM & MAT combined, and Post Baccalaureate Certification applicants):
- Post Baccalaureate Certification applicants must schedule an audition, interview, theory, music reading and aural skills tests through Decision Desk
- Master of Arts in Teaching Certification (MAT) applicants do not have to audition or take theory, music reading or aural skills tests. However they must schedule an interview through Decision Desk
- Master of Arts (MA) applicants must schedule an interview through Decision Desk
Note: Faculty members interview all prospective students in Music Education in order to assess suitability.
After completing your application to the University:
1. Review the audition requirements for your academic level and area of interest:
2. For an online audition, prepare an audition video including specific requirements for your instrument or voice and upload it on the Decision Desk website. For live auditions, be prepared to:
- Perform on primary instrument without an accompanist; voice with an accompanist provided
- Bring your own instrument (exception for percussion)
- Bring your own music as an instrumentalist, and music for the accompanist as a vocalist
- Take music theory test that is used for placement if you are accepted to the School, if applicable for your degree
- Transfer students only - To have faculty consider tranfer of music history credits, submit a course syllabus for each music history course you have completed.
|3. Complete the online application at Decision Desk to schedule your audition.|
- Applications will be processed within two weeks.
- Applicants must satisfy both the audition criteria of the Cali School of Music as well as the academic criteria of the University.
- Non-music majors may only take general education music courses.
- Music minors are not currently offered.
- Musical Theatre auditions are not held at the Cali School: Apply here
If you have any questions about the audition process, contact the Auditions Coordinator 973-655-7610 or firstname.lastname@example.org