2013-2014 Audition Dates
- Friday, November 8, 2013 2-5 pm (For transfer and graduate students only applying for spring 2014 entry) Application closed.
- Friday, February 7, 2014 2-5 pm Apply for Feb. 7
- Saturday, February 8 9-2 pm Apply for Feb. 8
- Friday, February 28 2-5 pm Apply for Feb. 28
- Saturday, March 1 9-2 pm Apply for March 1
- Thursday, May 15 9-2 pm (For transfer and graduate students only) Apply for May 15
- For jazz applicants only: you must submit an audition CD or DVD. (See details under jazz auditions.) Applicants must also submit one of the above audition applications to secure an appointment for a 15 minute interview. Please note that applicants may also be asked perform a live audition. The exact time of your interview will be confirmed via email. Any student who would face great hardship in attending the interview on our regular audition days should contact Dr. Kunkel directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Musical Theatre auditions are not held at the Cali School: Apply here
- Admission is competitive and applications are processed as soon as we receive them. Apply early, especially if you have scheduling requirements due to religious, medical or other issues. An effort will be made to accommodate special requirements but this cannot be guaranteed.
- All students must pass an audition (by audition CD/DVD and/or in person, as applicable), and meet the University's requirements for admission. Applicants may not audition more than three times.
- For non-music majors: Only general education music courses are available to non-music majors who are admitted to the University but not to the School of Music.
- Music minors are not currently offered; when offered, an audition is required. An audition for any of the minors is a modified version of the audition for the major.
- International students, or those at a significant distance from Montclair, should ask about alternative application and audition procedures.
- Applications or required materials such as CDs or DVDs will not be considered if they are received after specified deadlines or later than 2 weeks before a chosen audition date.
Apply first to the University
All prospective students must complete the application to the University before applying to the Cali School. Use the appropriate link:
Apply to the Cali School
- Read about your specific audition process below
- Choose an audition date from the list above
- Submit a Cali School audition application (which will be available Sept. 1st--you can apply to the University now). No audition application will be accepted within two weeks before your preferred audition date.
Music Therapy Audition Process
The audition process for both undergraduate and graduate applicants for this area of study includes:
- Audition on primary instrument or voice (see details below)
- Interview with faculty member*
- Music theory/aural skills placement test
- Music history syllabus review for undergraduate transfer students who wish to transfer music history credits: submit a course syllabus for each music history course for faculty review and approval.
*Cali School faculty members conduct interviews with prospective students to assess suitability for all programs except Instrumental/Vocal Performance. You may request an interview for one of these other areas so that if you are not accepted into your first choice, you may be accepted into this other area.
The Primary Instrument or Voice Audition
Prospective students for all areas of study must demonstrate performance ability, knowledge of elementary music theory, and evidence of serious musical study. The audition process allows faculty to determine if a student has sufficient ability and training to benefit from a Cali School course of study.
Post-baccalaureate (certification) and graduate candidates are expected to demonstrate performance ability and knowledge of music equivalent to a completed B.A. or B.Mus. degree. Artist's Diploma and Performer's Certificate degree applicants should follow the procedures for graduate studies.
After completing your application to the University, follow these steps to complete your Cali School of Music application.
1. Review the audition requirements for your area of interest by clicking its name below:
2. Be prepared to:
- Perform on your primary instrument without an accompanist, voice with an accompanist to be provided
- Bring your own instrument (exception for percussion)
- Bring your own music as an instrumentalist, and music for the accompanist as a vocalist
- Take music theory test (used for placement if you are accepted to the School; different tests for freshmen, transfers, post-baccalaureate and graduate applicants)
- Transfer applicants only: submit a course syllabus for each music history course for faculty review and approval if you want to transfer credits
3. Complete the online application after September 1.
If you have any questions about the audition process, contact the Auditions Coordinator 973-655-7610 or email@example.com