2014-2015 Audition Dates
Applications must be completed no later than two weeks before a chosen audition date.
Friday, November 7, 2014 - Closed
Friday, February 6, 2015
Saturday, February 7, 2015
Friday, February 27, 2015
Saturday, February 28, 2015
Thursday, May 14, 2015
Step One -- Submit an application to Montclair State University
Before applying to the Cali School, all prospective students must first complete the application to the University offices of Undergraduate or Graduate Admissions:
Step Two - Apply to the Cali School
After applying to the University, all students must apply to the Cali School through Decision Desk (link below).
The audition process for both undergraduate and graduate applicants for this area of study includes:
- Audition on primary instrument or voice (see details for undergraduate and graduate auditions below)
- Interview and portfolio review with faculty member
Composition: All candidates must present a portfolio including at least three compositions. These may be original works or arrangements, but should exhibit the use of several different instruments or voices, especially in combinations of two or more. Submission of a recording that includes at least two compositions is strongly encouraged.
Theorists: All candidates must submit a portfolio of analyses of at least three works by three composers from different periods.
- Music theory/aural skills placement test
- Music history syllabus review for undergraduate transfer students who wish to transfer music history credits - submit a course syllabus for each music history course for faculty review and approval.
Note: Faculty members interview prospective students in Music Therapy in order to assess suitability. If you want to be considered for other Cali School programs during the same audition, please make a separate application after viewing the appropriate webpage.
In addition to the portfolio review, all students must audition on a primary instrument:
1. Review the audition requirements for your academic level and area of interest:
2. For an online audition, prepare an audition video including specific requirements for your instrument or voice and upload it on the Decision Desk website. For live auditions, be prepared to
- Perform on your primary instrument without an accompanist, voice with an accompanist to be provided
- Bring your own instrument (exception for percussion)
- Bring your own music as an instrumentalist, and music for the accompanist as a vocalist
- Take music theory test (used for placement if you are accepted to the School; different tests for freshmen, transfers, post-baccalaureate and graduate applicants)
- Transfer applicants only: submit a course syllabus for each music history course for faculty review and approval if you want to transfer credits
|3. Complete the online application at Decision Desk to schedule your audition.|
- Applications will be processed within two weeks.
- Applicants must satisfy both the audition criteria of the Cali School of Music as well as the academic criteria of the University.
- Non-music majors may only take general education music courses.
- Music minors are not currently offered.
- Musical Theatre auditions are not held at the Cali School: Apply here
If you have any questions about the audition process, contact the Auditions Coordinator 973-655-7610 or firstname.lastname@example.org