To All College of the Arts May Graduation Candidates and Recent Degree Recipients!
Graduation exercises are just around the corner. Please join us at both our College Convocation and University Commencement so that we may recognize and celebrate your academic achievement.
College of the Arts Convocation (for College of the Arts bachelors candidates and recipients)
Friday, May 15, 2009; 7 pm; reporting time 6:00 p.m.
Location: MSU Amphitheatre
(NOTE: For bachelors degree candidates only. In the event of rain, the ceremony may be delayed or rescheduled to either May18th or May 19th . Please call the weather hotline at 973-655-7810 or log on to www.montclair.edu for up to the minute weather information. Tickets required)
Graduate Convocation (for all university masters candidates and recipients)
Sunday, May 17, 2009; 7 p.m.
Location: MSU Amphitheatre
(follow the link to instructions the for Graduate Convocation)
Montclair State University Commencement (for all university bachelors and masters candidates and recipients)
Friday, May 22, 2009; 10 am; reporting time 9 a.m.
Location: Izod Center, Meadowlands Sports Complex
The following information applies to College of the Arts bachelors’ degree candidates and recipients only.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR CONVOCATION AND COMMENCEMENT
The Montclair State University Commencement celebrates all university bachelors and masters degree candidates. Exercises will take place indoors at the Izod Center (formerly Continental Airlines Arena) within the Meadowlands Sports Complex in East Rutherford, NJ, on Friday, May 22, 2009 beginning at 10:00 a.m. The university Commencement recognizes all of the colleges' graduating classes and signifies the official conferral of degrees. (Note: Individual student names are not recited during the ceremony.) The ceremony will last approximately 90 minutes. Seating is open and tickets are not required. For further instructions regarding participation in Commencement, click here.
As a complement and precursor to Commencement, The College of the Arts' Convocation will take place on Friday, May 15 beginning at 7 pm. The event celebrates achievements of students enrolled in the College of the Arts and graduates’ names are announced during the ceremony. Seating is limited and tickets are required.
Students are encouraged to attend both the college Convocation and university Commencement.
Eligibility to Participate
Candidates who will complete their degree requirements by May 2009 and who, after filing for a final audit are on the May 2009 graduation list, are eligible to participate in the Convocation and/or Commencement exercises. Those whose degrees were conferred in August 2008 or January 2009 are also eligible to participate.
For information on the application for final audit, Certification (Teacher Education), or if you missed the deadline to file for graduation, please go to http://www.montclair.edu/registrar. Questions concerning other academic issues relative to your degree should be directed to the Office of the Registrar at 973.655.4376. Additional questions may be directed to the College of the Arts’ Office of Student Services at 973.655.7346.
Academic Regalia & Attire
Ordering Regalia -
Students participating in Convocation ceremonies and/or Commencement exercises are required to wear academic regalia. Caps and gowns may be purchased at the University Bookstore during regular store hours beginning May 7 through May 19 (please visit the University Bookstore website for specific times), as well as May 20 and May 21 from 12pm to 7pm, and on May 22 at the Izod Center. Eligible Bachelor's degree candidates must purchase their regalia in person and will be required to present a valid student I.D. or driver's license at the time of purchase. Bachelor's regalia is $54. All purchases of academic attire are nonrefundable.
Caps, Tassels, Stoles and Hoods-
Caps and tassels are NOT to be worn during Convocation but WILL be worn at Commencement. For instructions regarding stoles and hoods for Commencement, please visit Commencement web site.
Shoes and Personal Items-
Due to the natural construction of the Amphitheater, students (and guests) attending Convocation are advised to wear flat comfortable shoes. Handbags or other carried articles are not permitted in either ceremony. Please leave these items at home, with a guest or in the car.
ADDITIONAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR CONVOCATION ONLY
The College of the Arts Convocation will be held in the Montclair State University Amphitheater. (See campus map.) As the amphitheater is not a covered facility, guests should dress in accordance with the weather. (In the event of inclement weather, please call the MSU weather hotline at 973.655.7810 or log on to http://www.montclair.edu/ for up to the minute weather cancellation or postponement information. )
Montclair State University Amphitheater
RSVP and Ticketing
- To request convocation guest tickets, please complete a request form on the Convocation RSVP /Ticketing Site (Note: The ticketing site will open on April 21st.) To request tickets you must use your "Net-ID." (note: If you have never activated your Net-ID you can do so by going to http://netid.montclair.edu and entering your student ID number and PIN. If you need further help, call the Net ID Help Desk at ext.7971 for assistance.)
- Ticket Quantities: Students may request a maximum of five (5) guest tickets (two of which may be issued for the Kasser Theater, where a simulcast viewing of the ceremony will be held.) Tickets are for guests only, as graduating students will not need tickets for themselves.
- While every effort will be made to accommodate ticket requests, numbers of disseminated tickets will be subject to venue capacity limitations and prioritized in accordance with the date of the request. As a courtesy to other students, graduates are asked to request only those tickets that will be used.
- Ticket Ordering Deadline: Tickets must be ordered online by no later than May 4th.
- Ticket pick-up: REVISED UPDATE: Tickets are not to be picked up from the academic departments. Instead, please pick up tickets at the box office of the lobby of Memorial Auditorium at the following times:
- Regular Hours: May 7, 8, 11, 12, 13 (10 am – 3 pm)
Extended hours: Thursday May 7 (3-7 pm); Wednesday, May 13 (3-7pm)
- Please present your photo ID when picking up tickets.
Arrival and Check-in
College of the Arts Convocation
Friday, May 15, 2008
Amphitheater, Montclair State University
- CANDIDATES ARE TO REPORT FOR CHECK-IN AT 6:00 pm
- Check-in will be located in front of the Alexander Kasser Theater, under the portico by the main entrance.
- Upon check-in, candidates will be given an index card with his/her name, phonetic spelling and program of study.
- The number on the index card (if applicable) will indicate the order in which you are to line up by program.
- College of the Arts staff will be available for assistance.
- Guests are not permitted in the check-in or line-up area.
- Candidates will line up no later than 6:45 pm. Latecomers will not be able to participate.
- The College of The Arts staff will organize and supervise line-up.
- Procession will begin promptly at 7:00 pm. Latecomers will not be able to participate.
- Candidates will process into the Amphitheater from the line-up. Please listen to instructions carefully on the day of the event.
- The ceremony is expected to last up to 90 minutes. It will begin with a welcoming address by President Susan Cole. Toward the middle of the ceremony, a processional of graduation candidates will be called to the stage (your name will be announced) to be congratulated personally by the Dean, your department chair and faculty. Award recipients will also be recognized (note: Award recipients will be notified in advance.)
- Due to physical requirements of the seating area and for safety reasons, it will not be possible for family members to take photos during the ceremony. Please plan to take photos with family and/or faculty following the ceremony. A photo station and student photographer will be available to take photos using cameras brought by family members or guests.
- Entrances to the Amphitheater will be open to guest holding tickets at 6:00 pm. GUESTS WITHOUT TICKETS WILL NOT BE ADMITTED.
- Guess must be seated by 6:45 pm. The Amphitheater entrance will then close for 15 minutes to accommodate the procession of faculty and candidates, so be sure that your guests arrive prior to that time.
- Please see photos of the Amphitheater above; ticketed quests may be seated anywhere above the first 3 rows, on either side of the center seating area where the graduates will be seated,
- No strollers are allowed in the Amphitheater (Families bringing strollers will be asked to leave strollers in a designated location.)
- Students and guests requiring disability seating accommodations should send an email to arts firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Monday, May 5th with the person's name and special accommodation request. (Type "Accessibility Needed for Convocation" in the heading of the email.)
- The Red Hawk Parking Deck includes designated accessible parking spaces on the 4th floor level for cars displaying a handicap hang tag and a ramp leading to the Amphitheater.
- Candidates with surface lot permits may park in those same lots during the Convocation Ceremony.
- Guests without permits may use the Red Hawk Deck, the fee schedule of which may be found on the Parking and Transportation Services web site.
- There is also FREE parking available at Quarry Lots 18, 19, 20B, 21, 22, 23, 26 (with a short walk required to Convocation site-see campus map.) Parking in these lots will be allowed without a permit during the Convocation.
- Shuttle bus service will run as normal during the day of the ceremony.
- Parking Map (PDF)