Information for Employers
College of the Arts - Career Services
The College of the Arts works with employers that represent industries, corporations as well as for-profit and non-profit organizations, who are looking to hire interns or recent College of the Arts graduates. Below is information regarding ways in which CART Career Services connects with employers:
- Employers are encouraged to offer internships through which students may earn academic credit at the University. Most credit-bearing internships are managed by the Cooperative Education (Co-op) program which carries specific employer-participation guidelines.
- Internships may be offered as carrying a salary or stipend, or as unpaid. The Fair Labor Standards Act sets clear guidelines for employers offering unpaid internships. (FLSA Worksheet #71) Wherever possible, the University encourages organizations to offer paid internships if they are in a position to do so.
- Internships are generally scheduled for the length of a semester (at Montclair State, a semester is defined as 15 weeks long during Fall and Spring and 14 weeks long during Summer).
- Employers can structure positions as part-time (16-20 hrs) or full-time (35-40 hrs.)
- Employers are asked to provide a detailed position description which is posted for students to review. At a student applicant's request, a resume would be forwarded to the employer for review. Follow-up interviews would be arranged by the employer.
- When a student accepts an internship offer, course enrollment for the work-based experience is arranged through the University’s Cooperative Education program. A Co-op Faculty Advisor is then assigned to supervise the student's learning activities.
- For more information on employers’ participation in the Co-op program, go to: Co-op, Employers
Posting Positions of All Types
Employers are invited to post part-time, full-time, temporary and internship positions on Career Directions, the University’s online job board. You can access Career Directions through this link: Career Directions, Employer Login
Presenting On-campus Information Sessions
Employers are encouraged to enhance their partnership with the College of the Arts by offering an on-campus presentation. This can include speaking to a class regarding career opportunities/preparation; sponsoring a career “event”; or participating in the University’s job fair. For more information on these opportunities, contact the CART Career Services Director by phone at 973-655-7495 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org .