Department of Theatre and Dance
Applying for admission to the Department of Theatre and Dance is a two-step process:
- The University application –First, submit an online application to Montclair State University, following guidelines for undergraduate or graduate admission:
- The Department Audition, Interview or Portfolio Review – Next, you may be invited by email to schedule a department interview, audition, or portfolio review, where you will be encouraged to discuss your educational and career goals and demonstrate your artistic abilities.
Admission requirements vary from program to program. Click on the links below for specific program details and instructions, then view the Student Appointment Calendar for scheduled Interview, Audition and Portfolio Review dates.
- BFA Acting
- BFA Musical Theatre
- BFA Production/Design
- BA Theatre Studies
- Minors in Theatre and Musical Theatre
- BFA Dance
- BA Dance (Concentrations in Studio Teaching; and Dance Education with P-12 Teacher Certification)
- Minor in Dance
- MA in Theatre Studies Visit the Graduate School website for additional application requirements and deadline details.
- MFA in Dance Visit the Graduate School website for additional application requirement and deadline details.
Most appointments for interviews, auditions and portfolio reviews take place on the University campus. As admission to our programs is competitive, we encourage you to complete your application and request the earliest interview date possible, with special attention to the following:
- All applicants for the Spring semester must select the first date.
- Freshman applicants for the Fall semester should select a date no later than March, in order to be considered for housing and financial aid.
- Dates after March are intended for late-applying transfer applicants and University-enrolled students who wish to change their majors.
Undergraduate Appointment Dates
On-Campus Auditions Fall 2014- Spring 2015
|Acting||Theatre Studies||Musical Theatre||Production /
Nov 14, 2015 -Early
No audition is
Nov 14, 2015 -Early
Nov 13, 2015
Nov 10, 2015
Off-Campus Auditions Fall 2014- Spring 2015
For BFA Acting, Musical Theatre & Production/Design majors
While students are advised to visit the campus in considering Montclair for their college education, far-away applicants to the BFA Acting, Musical Theatre or Production/Design programs have the option to participate in one of the off-campus "National Unified Auditions" and "Dallas Unified Auditions" after completing their University application. The dates and locations are listed below.
National Unified Auditions
|New York City||Chicago||Las Vegas||Los Angeles|
|Jan 23 &24, 2016||Feb 8-10, 2016||Feb 11,2016||Feb 13 &14, 2016|
|Dallas Unified Auditions||Nov 20-23, 2015|
General Note to Long-Distance Applicants for all majorsFor further information, go to www.unifiedauditions.com
Far-away applicants (particularly international students) applying for any program in the Department may inquire whether alternatives to in-person appointments are available for the particular program.
Notification of Admission Status
Following the appointment, the Department will forward its recommendation to the Admissions Office, which will notify you of your overall status within approximately three weeks. Please note that, in some cases, applicants may be placed on a waiting list.
Graduate Appointment Dates
For MA Theatre, with concentration in Theatre Studies in:
Interview appointments for all graduate programs are scheduled individually with the Graduate Program Coordinator, generally weekdays 8:30-4:30.
Current Students’ Change-of-Major
If you are a currently enrolled at Montclair State University and wish to change your major to a program in the Department of Theatre and Dance, you do not need to reapply to the university. Instead, contact the Department directly to schedule an interview, audition, or portfolio review. You will be notified of the decision by email.
Events for Prospective Students
We encourage all applicants and prospective students to visit the campus to learn more about our programs. Please visit the Student Services page for information about Arts Days events as well as programs sponsored by the Admissions Office.
Applicants to Department of Theatre and Dance programs may qualify for one of the scholarships, grants and/or other sources of financial aid offerred by the University. The following resources may be of help:
- University Office of Financial Aid
- Graduate School Financial Information
- Outside Scholarships and Scholarship Search Engines