BA Dance (Concentrations in Studio Teaching; and Dance Education with P-12 Teacher Certification)
Major-specific Guidelines –
To be considered for admission to the BA Dance program (with concentrations in either Dance Studio Teaching or Dance Education with P-12 Certification), you must first submit an online application to Montclair State University; then follow the guidelines below:
- Applicants should be incoming freshmen or sophomores
- Upon completion and review of the submitted university application, applicants may be emailed an invitation to attend an audition with the Department of Theatre & Dance. (note: Please schedule your appointment online in accordance with sent instructions.)
- Applicants to BA Dance should have a strong foundation in dance technique and performance thus follow the same audition guidelines as BFA dance applicants. At the end of their second year in the program, BA Dance students who wish to pursue P-12 teacher certification may formally apply to the University's Center of Pedagogy. This application includes informal and formal writing samples as well as an interview.
- The audition consists of:
- Participating in a ballet and modern dance technique class during regular school hours;
- Presentation of a two-minute solo;
- Applicants must bring the following on the day of the audition:
- Resume of dance experience.
- Photocopy of your high school or college transcript.
- Two letters of recommendation from a teacher, director and/or other dance professional familiar with your work and potential. (note: Letter should evaluate your self-discipline, attitude, motivation, creativity and potential for success in the performing arts.)
- Photo of yourself in a dance pose as well as a wallet size headshot.
- Written paragraph as to why you would like to study dance at MSU, e.g. At this time, what are your current career goals and how would your training/studies at MSU help you to fulfill those goals?
- Appropriate dance attire (i.e. leotards, tights and ballet slippers.)
- $40 Audition fee payable by check or money order.
- Applicants should arrive early on the day of their scheduled appointment.
Note to Long-Distance Applicants
While all students are advised to visit the campus, in considering Montclair State for their college education, far-away applicants may submit their audition in the form of a dvd. (Contact the Dance Program Coordinator for more information. )
Following the portfolio interview, the Department of Theatre and Dance will notify candidates regarding their standing in the review process.
(Note: Once enrolled in the Production/Design Program, students must participate in an annual review to continue in the program.)
[ Back to top ]
Appointment Dates –
Refer to Department Admission - Appointments Calendar
[ Back to top ]