Department of Theatre and Dance
The Department of Theatre and Dance provides programs and opportunities to inform your understanding of the performance profession. Through Department-sponsored productions and final-semester student showcases, you will gain hands-on experience in designing, directing, choreographing and/or performing. Practicums and internships provide additional opportunities for learning about the performance industry in all of its facets.
The following Web links sections go to University-based and external resources which provide career assistance and professional guidance.
Career Development - University Resources
The links below lead to University-based resources that support career development and exploration.
[Back to top]
Theater and Dance Trade Publications
The links below go to Webpages of sample trade publications for theatre and dance.
- Backstage - helps actors, models, dancers, singers, comedians, variety performers, voice-over artists, and crew members find gigs – while helping casting directors, producers, directors, choreographers, photographers, writers, agents, and other entertainment-industry employers find talent for all of their projects.
- Dance Magazine - a magazine for professional and aspiring dancers. From Broadway to ballet and tap to hip hop, it keeps you in touch with what is going on in all disciplines of dance.
- DanceTeacher - the only magazine written just for dance professionals. Each issue is full of influential, energizing, and practical ideas that will help you and your students become better dancers.
- Playbill - the most incisive news, current listings for Broadway, Off-Broadway, and Regional productions, and informative features about every aspect of theatre.
- Pointe Magazine - a ballet magazine. From the top Summer Intensive programs, and behind-the-scene looks at the hottest ballet companies, to finding the perfect pair of Pointe shoes for you, each issue takes you inside the world of ballet.
- American Theater Magazine - the national monthly magazine for the American professional not-for-profit theatre, informing readers about important work and significant issues affecting theatre art and practice.
[Back to top]
Job Search Sites
The links below go to general and field-specific job search sites.
- Guru.com Marketplace for freelance talent.
- Careerbuilder.com Provides advanced job searches using keywords, location and job category with an option for jobseekers to post resumes.
- Hotjobs.com Offers advanced job searches, the option to post resumes and the ability to create custom searches to have jobs that match your criteria e-mailed to you.
- Cooljobs.com Provides a list of the Internet's best job websites sorted by categories such as freelance, overseas, staffing agencies, legal jobs, employment services, etc.
- CareerOneStop Sponsored by the U.S. Dept. of Labor, CareerOneStop enables jobseekers to search jobs, post resumes and research using career tools, labor market information, relocation center, etc.
- Truecareers.com Brings together educated and diverse job seekers with companies who will value them.
- Jobfactory.com/indus/indus20.htm Offers job searches, other jobsites and job lines, classified ads, recruiters and a resume posting service.
Theatre & Dance
- ArtSearch Lists positions in theaters, performing arts centers, summer festivals, universities, colleges, schools, dance companies, opera companies, symphony orchestras, museums, arts councils and other arts organizations.
- Varietycareers.com Online version of Variety magazine, listing media and entertainment positions.
- Therossreports.com Lists resources in the entertainment industry such as acting agents, auditions and casting, dance opportunities, casting agents, studios and producers.
- Media-match.com Matches television and film industry's freelancers with potential employers.
- 4entertainmentjobs.com Lists entertainment jobs in film, television, theater, fine art and music.
- Entertainmentcareers.netPosts entertainment jobs, internships and career information for the entertainment industry.
- Showbizjobs.com Extensive database by location, category, company, date posted and regions of the country.
- Entertainmentjobs.comFeatures jobs and internships as well as career development topics and tips.
- Filmstaff.com Provides job resources for those interested in production crew positions.
[Back to top]
The links below go to Webpages of a sampling of organizations that support the performing arts.
- Actors' Equity Labor union representing actors and stage managers working in professional theater. Resource for available jobs, casting calls, benefits information, news and events.
- American Dance Therapy Organization (ADTA) Works to establish and maintain high standards of professional education and competence in the field of dance/movement therapy.
- American Theatre Wing Dedicated to supporting excellence and education in theatre.
- American Theatre Wing Career Guides Series of one-to-one video interviews explaining each specific discipline in the theatre.
- Screen Actors Guild (SAG) Provides resources tohelp you understand how the industry works as well as tools to expand your skills as a professional actor. Membership information is available.
- New Jersey State Council on the Arts (NJSCA) - Advocates for and provides grant support to artists and cultural organizations residing in New Jersey.
- National Dance Education Organization (NDEO) Membership organization whose mission is to advance dance education centered in the arts.
- American Federation of Television and Radio Artists Reflects the resources available for members of the national labor union representing over 70,000 performers, journalists and other artists working in the entertainment and news media.
- New York Foundation for the Arts Support to arts organizations and artists. Includes jobs in the arts, opportunities and services for artists, events listings and discussion boards.
- Theatre Communications Group Resources to strengthen, nurture and promote non-profit professional American theaters through artistic programs, management programs, advocacy and publications such as American Theatre magazine and the ArtSearch employment bulletin.
- Dance NJ Service organization whose mission is to promote dance in New Jersey.
[Back to top]