Outdoor Recreation at Montclair State University gives our campus community new opportunities to explore the beauty and splendor of New Jersey, and the surrounding areas. We offer a wide range of trips including: canoeing, hiking, camping, and tubing. Space is limited, and registration begins the first day of classes each semester. If you want to go at your own pace, we will also be offering an equipment rental program exclusively for Montclair State University students. The equipment will include all the necessities for a great outdoor experience, and to be enjoyed at your pace, on your schedule. If you have any questions, ideas, or would like to see other programs in this new area of Campus Recreation, feel free to get in contact with Alex Sperling at email@example.com!
- Never feed or approach a bear!
- Remain calm if you encounter a bear.
- Make the bear aware of your presence by speaking in an assertive voice, singing, clapping your hands, or making other noises.
- Avoid direct eye contact, which may be perceived by a bear as a challenge. Never run from a bear. Instead, slowly back away.
- Black bear attacks are extremely rare. If a black bear does attack, fight back
You can find more safety tips for bear encounters here. Our deepest sympathies go out to the friends and family of the victims.