A minimum of 120 semester hours of coursework is required for the baccalaureate degree. A minimum of 32 credit hours of the total required for the baccalaureate degree must be completed at Montclair State. The final 24 credit hours must be taken at Montclair State and cannot be acquired through transfer (For active-duty service members, academic residency is limited to no more than twenty-five percent of the degree requirements for all undergraduate degrees. Academic residency can be completed at any time while active-duty service members are enrolled. Reservists and National Guardsmen on active-duty are covered in the same manner). A minimum 2.0 overall GPA and a minimum 2.0 major GPA is also required. However, more than 120 semester hours may be required depending upon the major field of study. Some majors have minimum GPA requirements higher than a 2.0. Specific requirements depend on date of entry or date of major declaration and vary from major to major. Students are advised to review the particular requirements for a bachelor's degree in their programs with their faculty advisors or academic advisors, and review their Analysis of Academic Progress on WESS.
- Majors, Minors, and Concentrations
- General Education Requirements
- General Education for BA/BS (Non-Teacher Ed)
- General Education for BFA (Non-Teacher Ed)
- General Education for BMUS (Non-Teacher Ed)
- General Education for Teacher Education BA/BS (P-3/K-5)
- General Education for Teacher Education BA/BS (P-12/Subject)
- General Education for Teacher Education BMUS (P-12/Music)
- World Languages and Cultures Requirement
- Language Placement Testing
- University Writing Requirement
- Academic Development and Assessment
A minimum of 32 semester hours of graduate credit is required for all master’s degree programs. A minimum of 60 credits is required for all doctoral programs. Additional hours may be required to satisfy prerequisites or special programmatic purposes. For additional information visit The Graduate School website.