Counseling and Educational Leadership - 2011 University Catalog
You have reached an archived version of the University Catalog. For the most current information please go to: montclair.edu/catalog.
Chairperson: Larry D. Burlew
The Department of Counseling and Educational Leadership (CEL) grants two different Master of Arts degrees, and one doctoral degree, a Ph.D. in Counselor Education.
In the MA in Counseling program, students are prepared to work with diverse populations of all ages in the following areas: Community mental health counseling, addictions counseling, school counseling, and student affairs/ higher education. Program concentrations in Community Counseling, School Counseling and Student Affairs Counseling in Higher Education are CACREP-accredited. In addition, the department offers two post-Master’s programs for professional development, one leading to gaining the requirements for New Jersey Licensed Professional Counselor (LAC/LPC), and the other leading directly toward New Jersey State School Counselor Certification.
The Ph.D. program in Counselor Education, the only one within a 248-mile radius, is a premier program with an excellent faculty. Students are prepared to work in the field of counseling as professors, clinicians, deans or high level student affairs professionals, directors of school counseling, and consultants.
In the NCATE-accredited MA in Educational Leadership program, students obtain a standard supervisor certificate as well as a principal certificate of eligibility. For students holding a master’s degree, the program offers advanced certifications in the areas of supervisor, principal, school business administrator and director of guidance. In addition, the program offers the opportunity for an additional internship to qualify the student to obtain the school administrator certificate of eligibility.
In the growing area of training and development, the Educational Leadership program offers opportunities to current and prospective professionals, to gain new knowledge and skills in management education, program planning, organizational analysis, and human resource development, with an MA in Educational Leadership, concentration in Adult and Organizational Learning (AOL).
Programs of Study
- Advanced Counseling Post Master's Certificate Program - Graduate
- Certified Alcohol and Drug Counselor Certificate - Graduate
- Counseling, Addictions Counseling Concentration (M.A.) - Graduate
- Counseling, Community Counseling Concentration (M.A.) - Graduate
- Counseling, School Counseling Concentration (M.A.) - Graduate
- Counseling, Student Affairs/Counseling in Higher Ed Concentration (M.A.) - Graduate
- Counselor Education (Ph.D.) - Graduate
- Director of School Counseling, Educational Services Certification - Graduate
- Educational Leadership (M.A.) - Graduate
- Principal, Administrative Services Certification - Graduate
- School Counselor, Educational Services Certification - Graduate
- Substance Awareness Coordinator, Educational Services Certification - Graduate
- Supervisor, Administrative Services Certification - Graduate