Art and Design - 2008/2009 Undergraduate Catalog
Interim Chairperson: John Luttropp
The Department of Art and Design offers a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in Fashion Studies, a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in Fine Arts with concentrations in Studio, Art History and Fine Arts Education as well as a Bachelor of Fine Arts (B.F.A.) degree with majors in Animation and Illustration; Filmmaking; Fine Arts Studio; Fine Arts Studio with concentration in Industrial Design; and Graphic Design.
The B.F.A. degree program is a pre-professional program with specialization in ceramics, drawing, fibers and textiles, film and video, graphic design, illustration, jewelry, multi-media, painting, papermaking, photography, printmaking and sculpture. Courses in each specialization give intensive pre-professional experience preparing students for professional involvement in the visual arts.
The B.A. in Fine Arts is a liberal arts degree with three concentrations: Studio, Art History and Art Education. The program in Studio is for students interested in liberal arts with a rich studio experience specializing in the same areas as those listed above in the B.F.A. program. The Art History program is for students interested in the historical development of art. The program in Fine Arts Education leads to certification to teach in public schools and is intended for students who want to teach art in schools, museums and community centers.
All students, except those interested in the Art History Program, must successfully complete a portfolio review for admission, in addition to meeting the Montclair State requirements. B.F.A. candidates must have an additional portfolio review once accepted to the Department.
Programs of Study
- Animation and Illustration Major (B.F.A.)
- Art and Design Studio Minor
- Fashion Studies Major (B.A.)
- Filmmaking Major (B.F.A.)
- Fine Arts Major, Art History Concentration (B.A.)
- Fine Arts Major, Fine Arts Education Concentration (Preschool-Grade 12) (B.A.)
- Fine Arts Major, Studio Concentration (B.A.)
- Fine Arts/Studio Major (B.F.A.)
- Fine Arts/Studio Major, Industrial Design Concentration (B.F.A.)
- Graphic Design Major (B.F.A.)