Art and Design - 2013 University Catalog
You have reached an archived version of the University Catalog. For the most current information please go to: montclair.edu/catalog.
Chairperson: Aissa Deebi
For more than 40 years, the Department of Art and Design has educated artists and designers who impact, interpret, and shape the visual world in which we live.
Undergraduates receive a comprehensive grounding in color theory, drawing, and two- and three-dimensional design. Our BFA and BA curriculums expand on these offerings with a choice of majors and concentrations in animation/illustration, graphic design, industrial design, fashion studies, art history, art education, and studio (including 7 specializations). Students wishing to continue their studies can opt for the intensive Master of Fine Arts program in Studio or the Master of Arts program with a Studio or Museum Management Concentration.
All students work and learn in fully equipped studios for animation/illustration, ceramics, drawing, graphic design, industrial design, metalwork/jewelry, painting, photography, print/paper/book arts, and sculpture. MFA students enjoy spacious private studios as well as common workspaces and seminar and resource rooms. Two student-run galleries showcase the works of Montclair State artists, and the college’s 3,130-square-foot George Segal Gallery exhibits the works of regional and internationally acclaimed artists, as well as works of our students.
Undergraduates connect with artists, historians, critics and curators through Art Forum, the department’s popular lecture series, while Graduate students learn from influential professionals through the MSU/MAM Series -- our collaborative series with the Montclair Art Museum.
All of our programs are accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD) and the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.
Programs of Study
- Animation and Illustration Major (B.F.A.) - Undergraduate
- Art and Design Studio Minor - Undergraduate
- Fashion Design Minor - Undergraduate
- Fashion Merchandising Minor - Undergraduate
- Fashion Studies Major (B.A.) - Undergraduate
- Fine Arts Major, Art History Concentration (B.A.) - Undergraduate
- Fine Arts Major, Fine Arts Education Concentration (B.A.) - Undergraduate (Combined B.A./M.A.T. with Teacher Certification in Art (Preschool-Grade 12) and Teacher of Students with Disabilities)
- Fine Arts Major, Fine Arts Education Concentration with Teacher Certification in Art (Preschool-Grade 12) (B.A.) - Undergraduate
- Fine Arts Major, School and Community Settings Concentration (B.A.) - Undergraduate
- Fine Arts Major, Studio Concentration (B.A.) - Undergraduate
- Fine Arts/Studio Major (B.F.A.) - Undergraduate
- Graphic Design Major (B.F.A.) - Undergraduate
- Industrial Design Major (B.F.A.) - Undergraduate
- Makeup Artistry Certificate Program - Undergraduate