You are eligible to apply to the NMUTR program if you meet the outlined minimum requirements listed below:
Candidates applying for the P-3/K-5 dual certification program must have an undergraduate degree with a major in liberal arts.
Candidates for the math/science certification must have an undergraduate degree with a major in math or a field of science.
For both programs, applicants must also have:
- A deep commitment to urban education
- A conferred bachelors degree
- A minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Passing scores on all required Praxis II exams
- Acceptable GRE scores
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Availability for an in-person interview with admission committee
- Be a US citizen or permanent resident
All eligible candidates are required to complete a Montclair State University Graduate School application. Included in this application are:
- 2 professional letters of recommendation
- A specified NMUTRP Portrait of a Teacher essay
- Official transcripts of all prior college coursework
- $60 application fee
Please note: The application process is very selective for this program. All applicants are required to submit a copy of their transcript(s) to the Program Director for review prior to applying. Please visit the Graduate School web site to apply online. In the online application, select Professional Non-degree program/Urban Teaching Residency (UTR).