Urban Teaching Academy
What is the Urban Teaching Academy?The Urban Teaching Academy is a specialized strand in the teacher education program that is designed to prepare and support teaching candidates who wish to make a commitment to teaching in urban schools.
Students will study and conduct their fieldwork experiences in cohorts. Specific sections of courses in the professional sequence have been designated by school and University faculty for UTA students in order to help UTA students develop the knowledge and understandings that correlate best with urban teaching and learning.
Who may participate in the Urban Teaching Academy?
Students preparing to teach any subject on any level (P-12) are eligible to apply. However, admission to the Teacher Education Program is a prerequisite for applying to the UTA. Students may apply to both programs at the same time. There is a separate application for the UTA.
What's different about the Urban Teaching Academy?
- Coursework for UTA students has a focus on coming to know urban young people, their families, communities and schools.
- In addition to participating in fieldwork and student teaching in an urban setting, students in the UTA are involved in a community internship, working with community-based organizations and institutions.
- Students in the UTA belong to a small, supportive learning community. They take UTA courses as a cohort, participate in their internships and fieldwork in cooperative groups, and collaborate on projects throughout the UTA program. The UTA faculty and staff provide students enriched advisement and support.
- Cooperating teachers, mentors, and community internship supervisors are carefully selected and work collaboratively with Montclair State faculty and staff to create the best possible learning situations for UTA participants.
- Mentors and cooperating teachers will work closely with MSU faculty on curriculum design and school-based support.
Urban Teaching Academy Brochure
Teacher Education Advocacy Center
University Hall, Suite 1160
Montclair, NJ 07043