Advanced Counseling Certificate (Post-Masters)
Coordinator: Dr. Edina Renfro-Michel
Office: University Hall, Room 3215
Phone: (973) 655-5381
The Counseling programs at Montclair State University prepare students to become multiculturally competent counselors in a variety of work settings. Students are prepared to work with diverse populations in elementary and secondary schools, community agencies, student affairs positions in colleges and universities, and substance abuse treatment facilities. The academic preparation follows guidelines established by state licensure and certification boards.
The graduate programs in Counseling offer several advantages:
- Opportunities for alternative scheduling in the form of face-to-face, hybrid, or Saturday classes to meet the needs of the working student
- The opportunity to master counseling skills in a technologically state-of-the-art counseling laboratory, which allows students to record, archive, and review their own counseling practice sessions, which enhances their ability to serve future clients
- A diverse group of faculty members actively engaged in scholarly research who hold national leadership positions in professional associations, including the American Counseling Association (ACA)
- A theory-to-practice model of instruction that allows students to gain practical experience in schools, community agencies, and colleges and universities
- An emphasis on the infusion of multicultural counseling and social justice practice in all courses
- A vibrant and diverse student body that has the opportunity to engage with faculty members on research and present at professional conferences
The Advanced Counseling Certificate program is designed to fulfill state-level and national standards for Licensed Professional Counselors. This program meets the highest professional standards according to CACREP, The National Board for Certified counselors (NBCC), and the NJ Board of Marriage and Family Therapists.
Counseling - Masters, Certification and Certificate Programs Brochure