We welcome applications from individuals who share our commitment to diversity and community engagement.
All prospective applicants must have completed a master’s degree in counseling or closely-related field. Applicants who did not take the following courses may be required to take prerequisites prior to enrollment in doctoral counseling core courses.
- Career Counseling
- Counseling Techniques
- Counseling Theories
- Group Counseling
- Human Development
- Legal and Ethical Issues in Counseling
- Research Methods
- Practicum and Internship
- Submission of GRE scores taken within the last 5 years
- Official transcripts of previous earned degrees and coursework
- Three (3) professional letters of recommendation from individuals who know the applicant’s clinical work and/or educational abilities. At least one letter from a faculty member and one from a supervisor must be included with the application.
- Current resume
- Responses to three (3) essays:
- A personal statement in which you describe past accomplishments, educational, and work experience that serve as foundational activities to your development as a scholar-practitioner. Explain your rationale for selecting MSU’s Counseling PhD program.
- Share your strengths and areas of growth in relation to being a culturally responsive counselor and social justice advocate.
- Please discuss your current research interests and how you hope to incorporate them into doctoral study.
The online application may be found at The Graduate School.
Applications are accepted for Fall admission only. All application materials must be received by February 1st. Completed applications received by November 1 will receive priority and early review. Please visit the Graduate School site for a full list of required materials and submission instructions.
Applicants evaluated as potential students will be invited for a personal interview, held on campus (all day). The interview day includes a writing sample, interview by faculty, and time with current students.
Questions? Email email@example.com or call 973-655-3133.