General FAQ

Office Location, Information, & Hours

Main Office Location: University Hall, Room 3162
Phone Number: (973) 655-7216

Hours of Operation

General Contact Information

Dr. Kathy Gainor
Department Chairperson
Email: gainork@mail.montclair.edu
(973) 655-7216

Dr. Angela Sheely-Moore
Doctoral Program Director
Email: sheelya@mail.montclair.edu
(973) 655-7389

Ms. Eunice Grippaldi
Administrator, Educational Leadership Programs
Email: grippaldie@mail.montclair.edu
(973) 655-7718

Dr. Amanda Baden
Coordinator, Counseling Program - School/Student Affairs/Higher Education Concentration
Email: badena@montclair.edu
(973) 655-7216

Dr. Harriet Glosoff
Coordinator, Counseling Program - Clinical Mental Health/Addictions Concentration
Email: glosoffh@montclair.edu
(973) 655-7216

Where do I find Graduate Study Forms (e.g., comps, change of program, etc.)?

Follow this link to get various forms needed throughout graduate school:

How do I apply for admission for graduate study at Montclair State University?

Follow this link to apply online or to download forms:

What are some important deadlines/dates?

Follow this link for the academic calendar for Montclair State University:

As a student, where can I go on campus for personal counseling services provided by professionals other than counseling program faculty and students?

Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) offers short-term individual and group counseling to students, as well as a variety of educational and consultative services designed to promote wellness in the campus community.  CAPS is located in Russ Hall--The phone number is 973-655-5211 and the website is: https://www.montclair.edu/counseling-and-psychological-services

FAQ - Counseling Program

Where do I find information about the Comprehensive Exams?

Please click here for detailed information about the Comprehensive Exams.

I am interested in becoming a counselor, but to be honest, I am not exactly sure what a counselor does. Where can I learn about the counseling profession?

Two excellent sources for information about the counseling profession are the American Counseling Association and the National Board of Certified Counselors. To learn about specific specializations within the profession, consult the websites of the various divisions within ACA. We also encourage you to conduct several informational interviews with professional counselors in a variety of settings in order to get a more personal perspective.

Do I need a teaching degree and/or experience before enrolling in this masters program?

No. The State Department of Education eliminated the teaching requirements for a license in school counseling. However, you will need to complete a 48-credit masters degree in counseling.

What are the admission requirements?

Candidates for admission to the Counseling Program are required to submit a letter of application, a personal statement, official transcripts of previously attended undergraduate and graduate programs, and two letters of recommendations, one of which should be academic in nature. You must also submit scores for the GRE or the MAT. For further information about the admissions process and additional requirements, please consult The Graduate School website.

I am planning on enrolling full time. How long is the program?

In general, most of our full-time students may complete their program in approximately 2.5 years. With advisement and careful planning, some students have successfully completed their program in 2 academic years (fall, spring, summer plus fall, spring, summer).

I have a full-time job and a family. Can I attend your program part-time?

Most of our students are just like you and attend classes on a part-time basis. For this reason, the many of our classes are in the evenings. Some Saturday and weekend courses are offered, as well as some hybrid.

What is the application deadline?

Currently, we accept applications on a rolling admissions basis. However, it is to your advantage to submit your application as early as possible in order to facilitate timely processing and review of your application before the beginning of the term. We encourage you to apply by April 1 for Fall and December 1 for Spring.

Where are students placed for Internship?

Students find internship settings consistent with their chosen concentration. These settings include, but are not limited to, K-12 schools, mental health agencies, substance abuse facilities, district offices, and college settings.

FAQ - Educational Leadership

Why am I having trouble registering for Field Experience?

Prior to registering for field experience, you must apply and receive a permit from the Program Administrator. Call (973) 655-7718 or email grippaldie@mail.montclair.edu to initiate the process. Please note on the call or email if you are in Principal certification or Educational Leadership and your student ID#. Once approved, a permit will be entered into the computer system for you to be able to register through WESS.

Do your programs meet the new certification requirements passed by the State in January 2008?

Yes, the certification programs for principal and supervisor meet both the old and new requirements.

Is there a comprehensive examination in all programs?

No. The comprehensive examination is only required in the MA in Counseling program. It is once per given semester. It is not offered in the summer. Informational sessions are held prior to the examination. Applications to take the exam must be completed and submitted to the Department Administrator for approval at least one month prior to the administration of the test. Please go to the "Announcements" link  for information.

Who actually certifies administrators and supervisors?

The State of New Jersey, Department of Education is the certifying agent. MSU will coordinate the paperwork for certification if you are enrolled in a formal certification program; eg., MA Educational Leadership.

What is the Certificate of Eligibility (CE)?

A Certificate of Eligibility, or CE, is a temporary certificate that leads directly to a permanent certificate. You qualify for the CE by obtaining the Master’s degree and passing the state test (Praxis). The CE enables you to seek and obtain employment as a vice principal or principal. Upon completion of mentorship (one-two years), you will receive the permanent certification.

What Certificates require a State test or School Leaders Licensure Assessment (SLLA)?

The certificates for principal and superintendent have test requirements.