About the Department
Our mission is to prepare professionals who possess the knowledge, skills, and dispositions to transform early childhood, elementary, and life-long literacy education in the service of social justice and democratic ideals. As a department, we strive collectively to ensure that our students understand that:
- Learning and teaching are social processes with political implications.
- Teaching/learning is a life-long process.
- Educators, to be effective, must effectively engage their students.
- Educators are cultural and political workers who accept an active role in democracy and the promotion of social justice locally, nationally and globally.
- Critical education is a process that works to change "what is" while simultaneously preparing people to participate in "what is yet to be."
- Respect for the value and educability of every person is a fundamental principle of teaching/learning.