The Athletic Training Education Program (ATEP) at Montclair State University is dedicated to providing a high quality, state of the art educational program consistent with the professional and ethical requirements of the profession of Athletic Training. Students will have the opportunity to learn in a dynamic and challenging professional preparation program geared toward preparing them for certification and practice as certified athletic trainers. The faculty and staff are committed to provide the highest quality professional education in a nurturing environment for a diverse student population.
The ATEP is a rigorous, challenging educational program which is designed to prepare students for the allied health profession of Athletic Training. Upon successful completion of the program students should be prepared to take the Board of Certification Examination.
To provide students with the means to meet the challenges of the ATEP, the faculty and staff are committed to the following:
- Fairness and consistency in administration of the policies, procedures and regulations of the university, college, department and ATEP.
- Establishment of program admissions criteria consistent with program expectations.
- Periodic assessment and review of student progress in the program with the purpose of providing feedback and direction to the student.
- Providing opportunities for academic and professional advisement.
- Orientation of students to accepted ethical and professional standards of practice.
- Providing opportunities for students to interact with a variety of professionals in the fields of athletic training and sports medicine.
- To provide students with the resources and educational opportunities to strive for success on the BOC certification examination and professional placement which exceeds national norms.
Students in the Athletic Training Education Program at MSU will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of current concepts and professional practices as outlined in the latest edition of Athletic Training Educational Competencies (NATA, Dallas, TX).
- Demonstrate and explain the appropriate skills, competencies and proficiencies as used in the professional practice of Athletic Training.
- Demonstrate the development of professional proficiency through application of appropriate patient evaluation, diagnostic and treatment decision making skills.
- Engage in critical reflection, inquiry, and critical thinking.
- Access and take advantage of life-long learning opportunities through professional continuing education.
- Exhibit understanding of professional practices such as patient confidentiality, administration of Athletic Training programs, medical legal issues, medical ethics with appropriate professional behaviors demonstrated in clinical education situations.
- Assume the responsibility of being stewards of best practice within their profession.
- Foster and demonstrate participation in professional development activities and responsibilities in athletic training.