- Department: Health and Nutrition Sciences
- Office: University Hall 4175
- Phone: (973) 655-7115
- Email: email@example.com
- MSU Faculty/Staff Profile: http://www.montclair.edu/~birnbauma
Scholarly Interests and Specialties
- I am trained as a behavioral epidemiologist and consider myself a public health researcher with a focus on adolescent health behaviors. I am very interested in the social and environmental contexts of adolescent behaviors, especially physical activity and eating behaviors. I have skills in experimental/quasi-experimental research, observational research, and measurement development. I have considerable experience in school-based research and am now conducting research in after-school programs in NYC. Although my training has been primarily quantitative and deductive, I have begun pursuing qualitative and inductive research as well and I am very interested in gaining more experience using mixed methods (combining quantitative and qualitative methods).
Professional Association Memberships
- American Academy of Health
- American Public Health Association
- International Society of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity
- Society of Behavioral Medicine
Reviewer for the following professional journals
- American Journal of Health Behavior
- American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Annals of Behavioral Medicine
- Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine
- Health Education and Behavior
- Health Education Research Journal
- Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
- Medicine Science in Sports and Exercise
- Preventive Medicine
- Prevention Science
- Editorial Board of the American Journal of Health Behavior (the journal of the American Academy of Health Behavior)
Other Types of Reviews
- Prentice-Hall- Expert reviewer for chapter on adolescent health in a high school textbook.
- Sage Publications- Reviewed a book proposal.
Work With Schools and Other Agencies
- Member of the National Evaluation Advisory Board for America SCORES! –“the nation’s only after-school program that uses soccer, creative writing, and community service to build healthy bodies, healthy minds, and healthy communities among at-risk youth.