Dr. Schwarzer was born in Buenos Aires, Argentina. He immigrated to Israel in 1982 and to the USA in 1999. David married his wife Taly in 1986. Together they have three multilingual children: Noa, Ariel and Tamar. David is fluent in Spanish, Hebrew and English.
Dr. Schwarzer is intrigued by the possibility of dissolving artificial boundaries between related fields (such as early childhood, emergent literacy development, ESL, bilingual and foreign language education) in the learning, teaching and researching of emergent literacy development in bilingual and multilingual settings using a holistic and socio-cultural philosophical perspective that emphasizes the importance of the learning and teaching contexts as well as the creation of a community of learners is crucial to my scholarship.
- Dean's Fellowship Award (2002) - For Features of Differentiation Between English and Spanish Emergent Biliteracy Development: an International Perspective. ($3000)
- Vision Award (2004) - For Isight cameras in foreign and second language tutorials. ($2581.25)
- Vision Award (2005) - For Building a website to implement the use of sight cameras in foreign and second language tutorials. ($2475)
- Fast-Tex Award (2004) - For technology integration into the foreign second language class ($1000)
- Special Summer Research Grant Application (2005) - For features of differentiation between English and Spanish in Early biliteracy development: an international perspective. ($800)
- Certificate of Appreciation for Volunteerism (2000) - For helping local community organizations with their English as a Second Language needs. Student Volunteer Board Honors; The University of Texas; Austin, TX
- Ph.D. University of Arizona (1996)
- M.A. Tel-Aviv University (1990)
- Teaching Certificate - Philosophy. Tel-Aviv University (1987)
- B.A. Tel-Aviv University (1986)
- 4/14/05 Discussant for the panel on The Impact of Transnationalism in the Education of Latino Immigrants: Utilizing a New Lens for a New Generation of Migrants. Hispanic Research Issues SIG, American Educational Research Association, Montreal, Canada.
- 4/13/05 Features of differentiation between English and Spanish: a International perspective. American Educational Research Association, Montreal, Canada.
- 6/28-29/00 Curso taller La Lecto-Escritura en el Aprendizaje de Lenguas Extranjeras - Secretaría de Educación, Subsecretaría de Educación Básica, Coordinación de Idiomas. Monterrey, México.
- 6/30-7/1/00 Workshop for ESL Teachers: Literacy Development in a Second Language - Universidad Autónoma de Nuevo León, Facultad de Filosofía y Letras, Secretaria de Departamento de Idiomas; Monterrey, Mexico.
- 5/2-7/99 Hebrew as a Second Language in Mexico: A Critical Review. - Universidad Hebraica; Mexico City, Mexico.
- 11/11/98 Teaching and Learning Hebrew as a Second Language: A Whole Language Perspective. - Vaad Hachinuch Hakehilati; Rio de Janeiro - Brazil.
- 1/22/98 Whole Language in Hebrew and English: Challenges and Profits - Tel-Aviv University; Tel-Aviv, Israel.
- 11/7-9/98 Hebrew as a Second Language: Theory and Practice - A Comunidade Discutindo a Educacao; Encontro da Rede Judaica de Educacao; Sao Paulo, Brazil.
- 6/18-24/97 Teaching and Learning Hebrew as a Second Language: Theory and Practice, XX-XXI Seminario de Capacitación Docente Vahad Hajinuj Hakehilati, Buenos Aires Argentina.
- 12/25/97 Literacy Development in Multicultural Settings - Emek Hayarden College; Emek Hayarden, Israel.
- 9/29/97 Literacy and Culture - Tel-Chai College, Kiriat Shmona, Israel.
- 7/10/96 Parallel Development of Writing in Hebrew, English and Spanish in a Multilingual Child - International Reading Association (IRA) Prague, Czech Republic.
- 3/7/96 Piaget y Vygotsky y la Enseñanza de Segunda Lenguas - Octavo Encuentro Nacional de Educación y Pensamiento, Universidad de Puerto Rico, Ponce, Puerto Rico.
- 9/8/96 Parallel Development of Writing in Hebrew, English and Spanish in a Multilingual Child: a Sociohistorical Perspective - Third Annual Meeting of the Sociocultural Theory and Second Language Meeting, San Juan, Puerto Rico.
- 7/19/94 An International Forum: The Socio-Political Context of Literacy - IRA (International Reading Association) Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- 7/21/94 Whole Language in Foreign Language Learning in Different Contexts - IRA (International Reading Association), Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- 4/08 TESOL – Key note in a professional panel of renowned names in the area of bilingual and multilingual education (Joshua Fishman, Skutnaab-Kangas, Ofelia Garcia, Jim Cummins, and David Schwarzer) New York.
- 3/07 “Preparing teachers of English Language Learners to work with ELL's K-12” Tesol International – Seattle, WA.
- 11/07 DIBELS and Second Language Learners in Alabama – NCTE New York.
- 11/06 The future is now: Improving instruction in foreign language classrooms through teacher-research projects. American Council of Teachers of Foreign Languages – Nashville, TN.
- 11/06 Monolingual teachers fostering multiliteracy - National Council of Teachers of English Nashville, TN.
- 6/ 07 “Creating Learning communities: pre-service teachers as tutors.” - Believe to Achieve conference (National Urban Alliance) Birmingham, AL April 2007.
- 7/30/04 Monolingual Teachers Fostering Multiliteracy: A Dream or a Nightmare? - Imagining Multilingual Schools: an International Symposium. Columbia Teachers College, New York, NY.
- 6/6/04 Panel on teacher research in foreign language education National association of Teachers of Hebrew, Austin, TX
- 11/18/01 Conducting Research in and out of the Classroom. ACTFL, Washington, DC.
- 2/23/01 Biliteracy Development in Early Childhood. Nabe, Phoenix, AZ.
- 3/2/01 Monoligual Teachers Fostering Multiliteracy. TESOL, St. Louis, MO.
- 3/29/01 To Be Or Not to Be Multiliterate: That's the Question! NCTE, Birmingham, AL.
- 6/3/96 Diversity in a Foreign Language Class. National Association of Professors of Hebrew (NAPH), Memphis, TN.
- 5/30/95 Whole Language and Foreign Language Teaching/Learning. NAPH (National Association of Professors of Hebrew), Orlando, FL.
- 5/1/02 Monolingual Teachers fostering Students Native Languages. Southwest IRA, Dallas, TX.
- 7/21/02 Cuadernos comunicativos en clases de lengua para alumnos principiantes - XI Encuentro de Profesores de Español para Hispanoparlantes; San Antonio, TX.
- 10/27/00 Noah's Ark: One child's Voyage into multiliteracy. Textesol, San Antonio, TX.
- 10/5/96 Dialogue Journals in ESL. MIDTESOL, Kansas City, MO.
- 6/5/96 Whole Language and Second Language Learning. Migrant-Esol-Bilingual State Conference: A Brilliant Blend, Wichita, KS.
- 5/4/96 Multiliteracy Development in an ESL Classroom. MIDTESOL (Midwest Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages); St. Louis, MO.
- 4/13/96 Qualitative Documentation in Second Language Learning. KATESOL (Kansas Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages); Emporia, KS.
- 6/10/94 Whole Language and Bilingual Education. AABE (Arizona Association of Bilingual Education); Tucson, AZ.
- 6/15/93 The Development of Features of Differentiation Between English and Spanish. AABE (Arizona Association of Bilingual Education); Tucson, AZ.
- 5/4/01 Inquiry Cycles in a Second Language Class. 5th Annual Bilingual Conference, Austin, TX.
- 3/23/01 Inquiry Cycles in a Whole Language Foreign Language Class. TEXFLEC, Austin, TX.
- 10/27/00 Noah's Ark: One child's Voyage into multiliteracy. Textesol, San Antonio, TX.
- 9/23/00 To be or not to be Multiliterate? That's the Question! Textesol III, St. Edward's University, Austin, TX.
- 10/19/96 Diversity through the Eyes of Children. Greater Kansas City Association for the Education of Young Children (GKCAEYC), Kansas City, MO.
- 6/22/96 Literacy and Play in the Multilingual Child. Early Childhood Institute, University of Missouri-Kansas City, Kansas City, MO.
- 2/23/89 The Writing System and its Transcription and Representational Meaning. Conference on Literacy, Levinsky College; Tel-Aviv, Israel
- Chairperson, (2009-Present) Secondary and Special Education, The College of Education and Human Services at Montclair State University.
- Associate Professor, (2006-2009) The Curriculum and Instruction, The University of Alabama at Birmingham.
- Assistant Professor, (2000-2006) Curriculum and Instruction, The University of Texas - Austin.
- Lecturer, (1999-2000) Curriculum and Instruction, The University of Texas - Austin.
- Director, (1997-1999) Center for Multiliteracy Development, Kaye College - Beer Sheva, Israel.
- Assistant Professor, (1995-1997) Curriculum and Instruction, School of Education, The University of Missouri - Kansas City, MO.
- Graduate Teaching Assistant, (1992-1995) Judaic Studies, The University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ.
- Lecturer, (1988-1992) Bet Berl Teachers College - Kfar Saba, Israel.
- Lecturer, (1987-1989) Levinsky Teachers College - Tel-Aviv, Israel.
- National Superintendent (1997-1999) Literacy Development, Basic Skills Department, Ministry of Education - Jerusalem, Israel
- Principal, (1991-1992) Bialik Elementary School - Tel-Aviv, Israel
- Educational Counselor, (1986-1989) Miftan Junior High School - Hertzlyia, Israel
- Director, (1989-1991) Literacy Education Unit - Israeli Defense Force - Ramat Gan, Israel
- Schwarzer, D., Petron, M. & Luke, C. (Eds.) (to be published Spring 2010) Practice Informing Research – Research Informing Practice: Innovative Teaching Methodologies for World Language Educators (Vol. VII). Greenwich, CT: Information Age Publishing, Inc.
- Schwarzer, D., Bloom, M., & Shono, S. (Eds.). (2006). Research as a tool for empowerment: Theory informing practice (Vol. IV). Greenwich, CT: Information Age Publishing, Inc. (484 pages)
- Schwarzer, D. Noa's Ark: One Child's Voyage into Multiliteracy. Portsmouth, NJ: Heinemann. (February 2001).
- Schwarzer, D. (1996). Parallel Development of Writing in Hebrew, Spanish and English in a Multilingual Child. Unpublished doctoral dissertation. University of Arizona, Tucson: Arizona.
- Bloom, M.; Schwarzer D. & Schwarzer, T. (2007). "Thinking and Acting Locally: Taking Language Learning Beyond the Classroom." Texas Papers in Foreign Language Education, 7(3), 30-45.
- Schwarzer, D. & Ferguson, D. (2007). DIBELS and English Language Learners: An analysis of the ‘Scientifically Based Research’ behind the test. Bilingual Basics, 7(2), 75-79
- Schwarzer, D., & Petrón, M. (2005). Heritage language instruction at the college level: Reality and possibilities. Foreign Language Annals, 38(4), 568-578.
- Schwarzer, D. (2004). Student and teacher strategies for communicating through dialogue journals in Hebrew: A teacher/research project. Foreign Language Annals, 37(1), 77-84.
- Schwarzer, D., Haywood, A. & Lorenzen, C. (2004) Fostering Multiliteracy in a Linguistically Diverse Classroom. Language Arts 80(6), 453-460.
- Schwarzer, D. (2003) A Qualitative Assessment of a Foreign Language Whole Language Classroom. Foreign Language Annals 36(1), 77-85.
- Schwarzer, D., Larrotta, C. & Zub, V. (2002). Creating an Innovative English as a Second Language in the Workplace Program. Texas Papers for Foreign Language Education. 7(1), 151-163.
- Schwarzer, D. & Luke, C. (2001) Inquiry Cycles in a Whole Language Foreign Language Class: Some Theoretical and Practical Insights. Texas Papers for Foreign Language Education 6(1), 83-99.
- Schwarzer, D. (2001) A Whole Language Foreign Language Hebrew Class - From Theory to Practice. Foreign Language Annals 34(1), 52-59.
- Schwarzer, D., Kahn, R. E. and Smart, K. (2000). Learning Contracts and Team Teaching in a University ESL Writing Class. The Internet TESL Journal, 6(10).
- Schwarzer, D. (2000). Literacy in a computer supported environment (Hebrew). Golshim Bakesher, 6(March), 4-5 (April, 2000). Ministry of Education, Elementary Education Department, Jerusalem.
- Lanteigne, B. & Schwarzer, D. (1997). The Progress of Rafael in English and Family Reading: A Case Study. Journal of Adolescent and Adult Literacy 41(1), 36-45.
- Schwarzer, D. (1995). Whole Language: Teaching and Learning a Foreign Language. Written Thoughts (12- 13), 32-45
- Schwarzer, D. (2009) Effective Community Building Practices in Adult ESL Classrooms. In C. Larrotta and A. Brooks (Eds), New Directions for Adult and Continuing Education: Bringing community to the Adult ESL Classroom (pp. 25-33). Jossey-Bass Publishers
- Schwarzer, D. (2007). Monolingual teachers fostering students' native literacies. In P. Martens & Y. Goodman (Eds.), Critical issues in early literacy development: Research and Pedagogy. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Schwarzer, D. (forthcoming). Monolingual teachers fostering students' native literacies. In P. Martens & Y. Goodman (Eds.), Critical issues in early literacy development: Research and pedagogy. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Schwarzer, D. (2001) El Lenguaje Integral y el Aprendizaje y Enseñanza de Lenguas Extranjeras. In: Osuna, A. ed. (2001) Homenaje a Yetta y Kenneth Goodman: Sus Alumnos y Sus Trabajos. Serie 1. Merida: Venzuela: Editorial Venezolana C.A.
- Schwarzer, D., Nidam, M. and Perez, D. (2000). Almost everything about Whole Language. Word of Action: Whole Language - North and South of Israel, Valden, Z (ed.) Tel-Aviv, Israel: Yesod.
- Kahn, R. E., Schwarzer, D., & Smart, K. (1997). Linking whole language and chaos and complexity theory: A teacher research perspective. Paper presented at The Fourth International Conference on Teacher Research, Evanston, IL: National Louis University.
Educational Materials & Reports:
- Artzi, B.; Badash, Y.; Bukshpan, E.; Gavia, N.; DeBer, Z.; Wolf, D.; Mamo, Y.; Mazor, A.; Schwarzer, D. ; Shachar, T. and Shriki, N. (1999). Literacy Capabilities in First Grade: Expected Outcomes. Ministry of Education, Basic Skills Education, Jerusalem (In Hebrew).
- Valden, T., Artzi, B., Sarid, E., Meirav, N., Schwarzer, D. & Orpali, E. (1988). The Center for the Development of Language Skills: Principles, Goals and Implementation. Beit-Berl College, Kfar Saba: Israel.
Featured in the News:
- MyFox at Your School: Nursery Rhymes in Kindergarten
- MyFox At Your School: UAB Glenn Iris
- Consultant, (2004) Aguirre International, helping with the evaluation of a USAID project in Nicaragua
- Chair Elect, (2005-Present) Bilingual Education Interest Section at the Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) International organization (2005-Present)
- Board Member, (2003-2005) Bilingual Education Interest Section at TESOL International
- Manuscript Reviewer, (1999-present)
- * Foreign Language Annals (Published by the American Council for Teachers of Foreign Language) * System (Published by Elsevier-Pergamon) * Language Learning (The Professional Journal of the National Network for Early Language Learning)
- Proposal Reviewer, (1999-present) American Educational Research Association SIG: Hispanic Research SIG: Bilingual Education American Council for the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
- Consultant, (2004-Present) Jewish Theological Seminar, Hebrew Immersion Summer Program for Teachers of Hebrew in the USA. New York, NY.
- Consultant, (2003) Partnership in Excellence in Jewish Education (PEJE). Boston,MA.
- Vice-President, TEXTESOL (2000-2003).
- Consultant, Austin Jewish Academy helping develop their curriculum, assessment and materials; Austin, TX (2000-Present)
- Advisor, 2000 - 2002 Fulbright Young Scholars Program
- Member, (2002 - present) International Education Fee Scholarship Selection Committee - International Office
- Invited Member, (December 2004) National Commission on Writing for America's Families, School and Colleges
- Member, (April, 2003) Academic English Program Colloquium
- Participant, (2003 - Present) Hispanic Organization Meetings
- Chair, 2003 - Present Graduate Studies Committee (GSC) for the Foreign Language Education (FLE) Program
- Member, (2003 - Present) Undergraduate Curriculum Committee - School of Education
- Advisor, 2000 - 2003 Masters level advisor for the foreign language program
- Advisor, 2000 - Present Foreign Language Education Student Association (FLESA)
- Advisor, 2000 - Present Texas Conference in Foreign Language Education (TEXFLEC), an annual student-organized conference sponsored by FLESA
- Member, (2000 - Present) Graduate Studies Committee (Curriculum and Instruction & Foreign Language Education).
- Member, (2002- Present) Awards and Fellowship Standing Committee - Curriculum and Instruction
- Participant, (2003 - Present) Doctoral Review for students in Language and Literacy
- Participant, (2000 - Present) Orientation to new students in Foreign Language Education
- Participant, (2003 - Present) Orientation to new students in Language and Literacy