This section provides links to online resources for writers whose first language is not English.
- Academic Word List This website lists 570 words that occur often in academic writing. The words are categorized in 10 lists in order from most frequently used to least frequently used. The words can be defined as well as translated into many different languages.
- Activities for ESL Students (The Internet TESL Journal)
- Advanced Composition for Non-Native Speakers of English
- Articles - Exercises Online exercises about articles ("a," "an," "the") from EnglishPage.com
- Collocations (englishclub.com) Provides a comprehensive definition of "collocation" as well as lists of common English collocations, quizzes, and tips for learning them.
- Dave's ESL Cafe for Students
- English Grammar Book "Englishpage.com is constructing a grammar book of high-quality English lessons and exercises to help English learners learn English grammar online."
- ESL Help (Hacker's A Writer's Reference Companion Website)
Click "ESL Help" on page that opens.
- ESL PartyLand
"A fun place to learn English as a Second Language!"
- English as a Second Language (Dartmouth Writing Program)
- English as a Second Language links (Indiana State Univ.)
- The English Club (englishclub.com)
See particularly English Writing
- Helpsheets for ESL Trouble Spots (Hacker's A Writer's Reference Companion Website)
Making subjects and verbs agree
A list of common irregular verbs
Matching helping verbs and main verbs
Using "a" and "an" appropriately
Using "the" appropriately
Placement of adjectives and adverbs
Choosing between present and past participles
Using prepositions to show time and place
- The Learning English Video Project (englishclub.com)
- Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English
This dictionary states definitions in clear terms and offers a variety of sample sentences.
- Strategies for Improving Your Academic English (Hacker's A Writer's Reference Companion Website)
(chart opens as PDF)
- Resources for ESL Instructors and Students (Purdue OWL)
- Self-Study Quizzes for ESL Students (The Internet TESL Journal)
- Resources for English as a Second Language (englishlanguage.com)
A website that has a variety of resources for both students and teachers, including quizzes and handouts. Resources include:
- 3,483 English idioms with definitions. Can search, browse alphabetically, look by category, or see recently added. Has a discussion forum for any additional questions.
- 2,871 English phrasal verbs with definitions. Can search by verb or preposition or browse by letter. Also has a discussion forum.
- List of 620 English irregular verbs can search or view alphabetically.