exterior of Dickson Hall
News and Announcements

Kristian Dyer ’03

History

Posted in: Alumni Stories

Kristian Dyer

Kristian Dyer ’03 is a well known and sought after journalist with over five years of sports writing experience who has written national and local coverage for print and online. With appearances on television and radio, Dyer has a strong reputation and comfort with multiple forms of media. During his journalism career, he has covered a variety of sports including college football and basketball, soccer, the NFL, NBA, MLB, high school recruiting and the business of sports. He is a nationally known and recognized author whose pieces have been quoted in both national and international publications.

At Montclair State, he was a history major and political science minor who graduated as part of the university’s Honors Program. He also was a member of the men’s soccer team.
Now, he is with USA TODAY Sports Media Group where he covers the New York Giants and the New York Jets. He also is on-air for MSG Network, part of their coverage of the New York Red Bulls. Kristian has a segment as the ‘Red Bulls Insider’ which is shot live inside Red Bull Arena and airs throughout the tri-state area on MSG, the home of the New York Knicks and New York Rangers.
He is frequently on NFL Network throughout the football season as well as CBS 2 and Pix 11 to provide insight and commentary. On a weekly basis he also makes appearances as a guest on ESPN Radio, FoxSports Radio, CBS Sports Radio, NBC Sports Radio and locally on WFAN and ESPN Radio New York.
Dyer, who received his BA from Montclair State University in History attributes much of his career success to his experience and education at Montclair State and explains that “While I didn’t study journalism, I credit the skill set of many of my classes in helping my development as a thinker and a writer. Being forced to critique and analyze problems as part of the Honors Program seminars was a tremendous boon and classes such as Public Speaking with Dr. Wayne Bond honed presentation and verbal skills which are always an asset in my business.”
According to Dyer, “Montclair was a great fit for me on many levels. I had a scholarship and was offered a slot in the Honors Program. I felt like I fit in. The Honors Program was a tremendous opportunity and place of growth for me. I credit Dr. Tom Benediktsson and the program administrator, Chrystel Williams with creating a family environment that made coming to school and going to class enjoyable. I definitely miss their smiles and interest in my growth not just as a student, but as a person too.”