Attention Graduating Seniors:
You MUST complete this survery prior to retrieving your convocation tickets.
Click here to complete survey: https://surveys.montclair.edu/survey/entry.jsp?id=1427294668829
Tuesday, May 19 at 2 pm.
Congratulations on your upcoming or recent graduation from the College of Humanities and Social Sciences at Montclair State University! Please join us as we recognize and celebrate your achievement at our Annual College Convocation.
This year’s featured speaker and Distinguished Alumni Award Recipient will be David Wertheim, Esq. ’79. Wertheim is the Vice President and General Counsel for Ferrari, North America.
The College of Humanities and Social Sciences will host a Graduation Convocation Ceremony on Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 2 P.M. Seating is limited and tickets are required for the Convocation.
Guests should enter the campus via the Carlisle Road, Clove Road, or Valley Road/Quinn Road entrance and are invited to park free of charge at the Red Hawk Deck. Entrance to Sprague Field is through gates 5 and 7.
For persons with disabilities, please park in the Red Hawk Deck and shuttle service will be available to and from Sprague Field.
(Bachelor Degree recipients and candidates)
Tuesday, May 19, 2015
2:00 P.M.; check-in by 1:00 P.M.
The College of Humanities and Social Sciences Convocation ceremony will be held on Campus at Sprague Field. The facility is not covered, so guests should dress to be comfortable in outdoor weather. Student participants are encouraged to wear sensible shoes. In the event of inclement weather, the ceremony may be postponed. Please call the MSU weather hotline at 973.655.7810 or log on to http://www.montclair.edu/ for up-to-the-minute weather cancellation information.
Please continue to check the University's Web site for the latest information and updates regarding Convocation and Commencement.
Eligibility to Participate in both Convocation and Commencement
Candidates who will complete their degree requirements by May 2015 and who after filing for a final audit are on the May 2015 graduation list are eligible to participate in the Convocation and/or Commencement exercises. Those whose degrees were conferred in August 2014 or January 2015 also are eligible to participate.
If you have questions concerning academic issues relative to your degree, please contact the Office of the Registrar at 973-655-4376. All other questions may be directed to the College of Humanities and Social Sciences, to Courtney Cunningham at 973-655-6975.
Academic Regalia and Attire
- For the Convocation, graduating students are required to wear the academic robe with stole (no cap or tassels). Caps and tassels are worn only for Commencement at the Prudential Center.
- Handbags or other carried articles (including water bottles) are not permitted during the ceremony. Please leave handbags or other items at home, in your car or with a guest. The University is not responsible for lost items you choose to bring.
- Due to the outdoor construction of Sprague Field we advise that students and guests wear comfortable clothing and flat shoes for the event.
Ordering Academic Regalia:
- Bachelor’s regalia (caps and gowns) may be purchased at the University Bookstore during regular store hours (available at http://www.montclair.bkstr.com) beginning May 7 through May 13. Regalia is $65. Eligible bachelor degree candidates must purchase their regalia in person and will be required to present a valid student I.D. or driver's license at the time of purchase. All purchases of academic attire are non-refundable.
- Master's degree candidates must order their regalia through Herff Jones at http://www.herffjones.com/ by Tuesday, March 31, 2015. Master's robes are $75.
- Doctoral candidates participating in the Commencement ceremony should contact the Graduate School to order their academic attire by Friday, March 13, 2015.
Stoles and Hoods
For information regarding the purchasing of academic regalia please visit the Commencement website.
Arrival, Check-in, and Line-up
- CANDIDATES ARE TO REPORT TO CHECK-IN AT 1:00 P.M.
- Line Up In Place by Department: Parking Lot 7, adjacent to Panzer Gymnasium.
- At check-in, candidates will be given an index card that has your name, major, and graduation honors.
- Guests are not permitted in the check-in or line-up area.
- Candidates will line up according to their department beginning at 1:00 P.M. and no later than 1:30 P.M. Late-comers will not be able to participate.
Please note that Master's degree candidates are to attend the Graduate Convocation.
- Procession will begin promptly at 1:45 P.M.
- Candidates will process into the stadium from line-up. Please listen to instructions carefully on the day of the event.
- The Convocation Ceremony is expected to last 1 and one-half hours.
- The Convocation ceremony will begin with a welcoming address by President Susan Cole. A processional of graduating candidates will then be called to the stage (your name will be announced) to be congratulated personally by the President, the Provost, the Dean, and the Department Chair.
- Due to the physical requirements of the seating area and safety reasons, it will not be possible for family members to take photos during the ceremony. Please plan to take photos with family and/or faculty following the ceremony.
TicketingLink to RSVP for tickets: http://www.montclair.edu/rsvp
April 21st -RSVP/Online Ticket Ordering Opens
April 30th- RSVP/Online Ticket Ordering Closes
Maximum of 4 tickets per person. Due to the large number of students who participate in Convocation, we are unable to provide additional tickets. However, if by any chance there are additional tickets left over, we will email all graduating students prior to the May 19th Convocation date.
Ticket Distribution, May 4th -7th; come to the CHSS Dean's Office, Dickson Hall 401:
Monday, May 4th- Last Name begins with A-M: 9am-4pm
Tuesday, May 5th- Last Name begins with A- M: 9am-4pm
Wednesday, May 6th- Last Name begins with N-Z: 9am - 4pm
Thursday, May 7th- Last Name begins with N-Z: 9am - 4pm
Late Hours for Ticket Pick Up:
- GUESTS WITHOUT TICKETS WILL NOT BE ADMITTED.
- Entrances to Sprague Field will be open to guests holding tickets at 1:00 P.M. All guests should be seated by 1:45 P.M. Entrances to Sprague Field will close for 15 minutes beginning at 1:45 P.M. to accommodate the procession of faculty and candidates. Be sure that your guests arrive prior to that time.
- No strollers are allowed into Sprague Field (families bringing strollers will be required to leave strollers in a designated location).
- Parking is available for free in all surface lots (except for the President's Circle) and the Red Hawk Deck. See a parking map, which includes information about parking for guests with special needs. The Red Hawk Shuttle will be running on a regular schedule during Convocations with service to all parking areas. Please note: Parking fees and ticketing will be suspended ONLY on the days of the events. Regular fees apply during regular days/hours.
David Wertheim, Esq. ‘79
David Wertheim is the Vice President and General Counsel for Ferrari, North America.
Wertheim graduated magna cum laude from Montclair State in 1979 with a bachelor’s degree in History. He continued his education at Seton Hall University School of Law where he earned his Juris Doctor in 1984. After serving as the judicial law clerk to the Honorable John J. Geronimo, he became associated with the Newark firm of Mattson, Madden, and Polito. In September, 1987 Wertheim became a staff attorney with Volvo Cars of North America, and in 1995 he rose to the position of Deputy General Counsel. In 2001, he became Vice President, General Counsel of Ferrari North America, the distributor of the world renowned Ferrari automobiles in the Americas.
David Wertheim has remained an active alumnus, having served on the board of the Alumni Association for many years, and in 2006 was presented with the distinguished Carpe Diem Award by President Susan A. Cole.