Sunday, May 22 at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.
The College of Humanities and Social Sciences will host two Convocation ceremonies on Sunday, May 22 at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. Please take note of which ceremony to attend based on your major. See below. Seating is limited and tickets are required for the Convocation.
Sunday, May 22, 2016
Humanities Convocation Ceremony
10 a.m.; check-in by 9 a.m.
For majors in: Anthropology; Classics and General Humanities; English; Gender, Sexuality, and Women's Studies; History; Linguistics; Modern Languages and Literatures; Philosophy; Religion; and Spanish and Italian.
Social Science Convocation Ceremony
2 p.m.; check-in by 1 p.m.
For majors in: Child Advocacy, Justice Studies, Political Science and Law, Psychology, and Sociology
There are two convocation ceremonies for the College of Humanities and Social Sciences. They will be held on Campus at Sprague Field. The facility is not covered, so guests should dress to be comfortable in outdoor weather. Student participants are encouraged to wear sensible shoes.
Eligibility to Participate in both Convocation and Commencement
Candidates who will complete their degree requirements by May 2016 and who after filing for a final audit are on the May 2016 graduation list are eligible to participate in the Convocation and/or Commencement exercises. Those whose degrees were conferred in August 2015 or January 2016 also are eligible to participate.
If you have questions concerning academic issues relative to your degree, please contact the Office of the Registrar at 973-655-4376. All other questions may be directed to the College of Humanities and Social Sciences, to Courtney Cunningham at 973-655-6975.
Academic Regalia and Attire
- For the Convocation, graduating students are required to wear the academic robe with stole.
- Handbags or other carried articles (including water bottles) are not permitted during the ceremony. Please leave handbags or other items at home, in your car or with a guest. The University is not responsible for lost items you choose to bring.
- Due to the outdoor construction of Sprague Field we advise that students and guests wear comfortable clothing and flat shoes for the event.
Ordering Academic Regalia:
- Bachelor’s regalia (caps and gowns) may be purchased at the University Bookstore during regular store hours (available at http://www.montclair.bkstr.com). Regalia is $65. Eligible bachelor degree candidates must purchase their regalia in person and will be required to present a valid student I.D. or driver's license at the time of purchase. All purchases of academic attire are non-refundable.
- Master's and Doctoral candidates: Visit our Academic Regalia web page for more details.
Stoles and Hoods
For information regarding the purchasing of academic regalia please visit the Commencement website.
Arrival, Check-in, and Line-up
- CANDIDATES ARE TO REPORT TO CHECK-IN AT 9 a.m. for the Humanities Convocation and 1 p.m. for the Social Sciences Convocation
- Line Up In Place by Department: Parking Lot 7, adjacent to Panzer Gymnasium.
- At check-in, candidates will be given an index card that has your name, major, and graduation honors.
- Guests are not permitted in the check-in or line-up area.
- Candidates will line up according to their department beginning at 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. respectfully. Late-comers will not be able to participate.
Please note that Master's degree candidates are to attend the Graduate Convocation.
- For the Humanities Ceremony at 10 a.m., the procession will begin promptly at 9:45 a.m.
- For the Social Sciences Ceremony, the procession will begin promptly at 1:45 p.m.
- Candidates will process into the stadium from line-up. Please listen to instructions carefully on the day of the event.
- The Convocation ceremony is expected to last 1 and one-half hours.
- The Convocation ceremony will begin with a welcoming address by President Susan Cole. A processional of graduating candidates will then be called to the stage (your name will be announced) to be congratulated personally by the President and the Dean.
- Due to the physical requirements of the seating area and safety reasons, it will not be possible for family members to take photos during the ceremony. Please plan to take photos with family and/or faculty following the ceremony.
TicketingTicketing information is T.B.A.
- GUESTS WITHOUT TICKETS WILL NOT BE ADMITTED.
- Entrances to Sprague Field will be open to guests holding tickets one hour before the ceremony. All guests should be seated by 9:45 a.m. and 1:45 p.m. respectfully. Entrances to Sprague Field will close 15 minutes prior to the ceremony to accommodate the procession of faculty and candidates. Be sure that your guests arrive prior to that time.
- No strollers are allowed into Sprague Field (families bringing strollers will be required to leave strollers in a designated location).
The 2016 College of Humanities and Social Sciences Convocations will take place at Sprague Field. Gates to the field will open one hour before the start of Convocation. All parking is free during Convocation.
Please enter campus via College Avenue, Yogi Berra Drive or Clove Road and proceed to the CarParc Diem Deck or the Red Hawk Parking Deck. (NOTE: Entering campus via Yogi Berra Drive and exiting using Clove Road offers the most direct access to Route 46 and Route 3.) The gates for the CarParc Diem Deck and the Red Hawk Parking Deck will open 90 minutes before the start of Convocation.
For your convenience, shuttles will be available to take you directly from the CarParc Diem Deck to the drop-off point at the Carlisle Road and College Avenue intersection where you will join the line for bag check before entering Sprague Field. Shuttle service will run continuously beginning 90 minutes prior to Convocation and tapering off once the event begins. Return shuttle service will ramp up again 15 minutes before the end of Convocation and terminate 45 minutes after the event ends.
Please park in the Red Hawk Parking Deck and take the elevator to level 2. An ADA shuttle will be available to take you directly to the Sprague Field entrance where your bags will be searched. Shuttle service will run continuously beginning 90 minutes prior to Convocation and tapering off once the event begins. Return shuttle service will ramp up again 15 minutes before the end of Convocation and terminate 45 minutes after the event ends.
In case of inclement weather, please call the weather hotline at 973-655-7810 for information regarding cancellation of Convocation.