(Bachelor Degree recipients and candidates)
Monday, May 19, 2014
2:00 P.M.; check-in by 1:00 P.M.
Congratulations on your upcoming or recent graduation from the College of Humanities and Social Sciences at Montclair State University! Please join us as we recognize and celebrate your achievement at our Annual College Convocation.
Guests should enter the campus via the Carlisle Road, Clove Road, or Valley Road/Quinn Road entrance and are invited to park free of charge in the Red Hawk Deck. Entrance to Sprague Field is through gates 5 and 7.
Those with disabilities, are invited to park in the Red Hawk Deck. Shuttle service will be available to and from Sprague Field.
Should the weather on Sunday make it impossible to hold Convocation, we strongly encourage all students and their families to attend the Commencement ceremony on Friday, May 23, at the Izod Center in East Rutherford.
Please continue to check the University's Web site for the latest information and updates regarding Convocation and Commencement.
Eligibility to Participate in both Convocation and Commencement
Candidates who will complete their degree requirements by May 2014 and after filing for a final audit, are on the May 2014 graduation list are eligible to participate in the Convocation and/or Commencement exercises. Those whose degrees were conferred in August 2013 or January 2014 also are eligible to participate.
If you have questions concerning academic issues relative to your degree, please contact the Office of the Registrar at 973-655-4376. All other questions may be directed to the College of Humanities and Social Sciences, to Holly Den Bleyker at 973-655-4228, or at DenbleykerH@mail.montclair.edu.
Academic Regalia and Attire
- For the Convocation, graduating students are required to wear the academic robe with stole (no cap or tassels). Caps and tassels are worn only for Commencement at the Izod Center.
- Handbags or other carried articles (including water bottles) are not permitted during the ceremony. Please leave handbags or other items at home, in your car or with a guest. The University is not responsible for lost items you choose to bring.
- Due to the outdoor construction of Sprague Field we advise that students and guests wear comfortable clothing and flat shoes for the event. High heels are strongly discouraged.
Stoles and Hoods
- For information regarding the purchasing of academic regalia, please visit the Commencement website.
Arrival, Check-in, and Line-up
- Candidates are to report to check in at 1:00 P.M., in Parking Lot 7, adjacent to Panzer Gymnasium.
- Guests are not permitted in the check-in or line-up area.
- Candidates will line up according to their department beginning at 1:00 P.M. and no later than 1:45 P.M. Late-comers will not be able to participate.
- Please note that Master's degree candidates are to attend the Graduate Convocation on Tuesday, May 20th at 7:00 P.M.
- Procession will begin promptly at 1:45 P.M.
- Candidates will process into the stadium from line-up. Please listen to instructions carefully on the day of the event.
- The Convocation is expected to last 1 and one-half hours.
- The Convocation ceremony will begin with a welcoming address by President Susan Cole. A processional of graduating candidates will then be called to the stage (your name will be announced) to be congratulated personally by the President, the Provost, the Dean, and the Department Chair.
- Due to the physical requirements of the seating area and safety reasons, it will not be possible for family members to take photos during the ceremony. Please plan to take photos with family and/or faculty following the ceremony.
A maximum of 4 tickets will be provided to each student. Due to space restrictions at Sprague Field, we are unable to offer additional tickets.
Convocation RSVP and Ticket Request Link: http://www.montclair.edu/rsvp
Once you have registered, you will begin to receive regular updates about Convocation via email. Among these updates, in the coming weeks you will receive information about where and when tickets may be picked up.
In order to receive tickets, ALL STUDENTS MUST REGISTER (RSVP) ON LINE.
Once you have registered, please reference the breakdown below to determine when your tickets will be available for pickup.
Student’s last name begins with: Date:
A-M Monday, May 5 & Tuesday, May 6
N-S Wednesday, May 7 & Thursday, May 8
T-Z Thursday, May 8 & Friday, May 9
You may come to Dickson Hall, Room 401 to pick up your tickets on your assigned date from 9:00am to 12:00pm or 1:30pm to 4:00pm. A valid student ID or driver’s license is required. You must be present to pick up your tickets; tickets will not be released to a third party.
If you are unable to pick up your tickets during the assigned dates/times, you may pick up your tickets on Monday, May 5 or Thursday, May 8 between the hours of 4:30pm-6:00pm from Assistant Dean Indiveri-Gant in Dickson Hall, Rm 406.
Students who do not pick up tickets by 4:00pm on Friday, May 16 will forfeit their tickets. Lost or stolen tickets cannot be replaced. No exceptions will be made.
If you have not already done so, you will be required to complete the CHSS Senior Exit Survey prior to receiving your tickets. To expedite the process of ticket distribution, please complete the survey by following the link below (note: if you completed the survey at the time of registering for Convocation, you are not required to complete it again).
To access the survey, please visit: https://surveys.montclair.edu/survey/entry.jsp?id=1396971101647
- Guests without tickets will not be admitted.
- Entrances to Sprague Field will be open to guests holding tickets at 1:00 P.M. All guests should be seated by 1:45 P.M. Entrances to Sprague Field will close for 15 minutes beginning at 1:45 P.M. to accommodate the procession of faculty and candidates. Be sure that your guests arrive prior to that time.
- No strollers are allowed into Sprague Field (families bringing strollers will be required to leave strollers in a designated location).
- Parking is available for free in all surface lots (except for the President's Circle) and the Red Hawk Deck. See a parking map, which includes information about parking for guests with special needs. The Red Hawk Shuttle will be running on a regular schedule during Convocations with service to all parking areas. Please note: Parking fees and ticketing will be suspended ONLY on the days of the events. Regular fees apply during regular days/hours.
INFORMATION ON APPLYING FOR AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS
Outstanding Academic Achievement and Service Award
At the CHSS Convocation, Dean Marietta Morrissey will recognize a student for his/her high academic standing and service to the College. To be eligible you must be a graduating student with a 3.9 GPA or better and must attend the CHSS Convocation.
The Outstanding Academic Achievement and Service award application will become available on Wednesday, March 20, 2014.
Student Speaker Application
One student will be selected to speak for 3 minutes at the Convocation. To be eligible to be the student speaker, you must have a minimum grade point average of 3.9 and provide one CHSS faculty member's written endorsement. In addition to academic merit and the faculty endorsement, applicants will be judged on their ability to present an interesting and widely appealing speech.
The Student Speaker application will become available on Wednesday, March 20, 2014.