The Linguistics Department sponsors students to present at professional conferences
- Katsiaryna Aharodnik (M.A. student) co-authored a paper with Dr. Jirka Hana (Charles University) and Dr. Anna Feldman: A Low-Budget Tagger for Old Czech. The paper will be presented at the Association for Computational Linguistics (ACL 2011) workhop on Language Technology for Cultural Heritage, Social Sciences, and Humanities (LaTeCH 2011). It will also be published in the peer-reviewed conference proceedings.
- Robson Albuquerque and Kaitlin Ward (M.A. students) co-authored a paper The Social Stratification and the New Shift Toward the Use of the Rhotic (r) in NYC Department Stores. It was presented at
- The Linguistic Society of Southern Africa (LSSA) and The Southern African Applied Linguistics Association (SAALA) Conference, Pretoria, South Africa 26-29 September 2010
- Robson Albuquerque and Kaitlin Ward (M.A. students) also co-authored a paper Revisiting and Rerunning William Labov's Study: The Social Stratification of (r) in New York City Department Stores.They presented it at
- Poster Session of Annual Meeting of the American Association of Applied Linguistics – March 26 - 29, 2011 Chicago, Illinois
- Laura Street presented a paper she co-authored with Dr. Jing Peng of Computer Science and Dr. Anna Feldman of Linguistics at the Computational Linguistics and Intelligent Text Processing Conference (CICLing 2010) at Iasi University in Iasi, Romania, March 29, 2010. The article has been published as
- Peng J, Feldman A., and Street L. 2010. Computing Linear Discriminants for Idiomatic Sentence Detection. In Research in Computing Science, Special issue: Natural Language Processing and its Applications, Vol. 46, pp. 17-28, Instituto Politecnico Nacional Centro de Investigacin en Computacien Mexico 2010, ISSN 1870-4069.
- Nathan Michalov presented a paper he co-authored with his classmates in APLN550 Computational Linguistics taught by Dr. Feldman.The article has been published as
- Laura Street, Rachel Silverstein, Nathan Michalov, Felicia Flowers, Angela Talucci, Michael Reynolds,Priscilla Pereira, Gabriella Morgon, Samantha Siegel, Marci Barousse, Lurdes Ruela, Antequa Anderson, Tashom Carroll, and Anna Feldman. 2010. Like Finding a Needle in a Haystack: Annotating the American National Corpus for Idiomatic Expressions. In Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC 2010).