Teaching Italian Symposium
A Symposium/Workshop for Instruction Materials is the signature event of the Italian section of the Department of Spanish and Italian and The Coccia Institute for the Italian Experience in America. Since 2008, a unique program for teachers of Italian is held annually to engage teachers in conversations and workshops on best practices, and provide a wealth of strategies and techniques that teachers can then personalize the materials to accommodate the levels and interests of their students.
The success of this program has surpassed the original vision for teachers of Italian in New Jersey; it is now a professional development event for Italian teachers across the U.S., and has surpassed geographical boundaries, with teachers attending from as far away as Ohio.
In 2010, the first Coccia-Inserra Award for Excellence and Innovation in the Teaching of Italian (K-12), was conferred. The award, in the amount of $4,000 is divided equaly between the recipient (for professional development) and his/her school (to advance its curriculum and programming in Italian language and culture).
Read more on various news channels
- TI9: EduMusica (see also article in La Voce di New York)
- Memories of TI8: Giocando s'impara
- Memories of TI7: (Con)Testo - Literature
- Memories of TI6: CineLezione
- Memories of TI5: Culture at the Core
- Memories of TI4: Advanced Placement (AP)
- Memories of TI3: Technology
- Memories of TI2: Writing
- Memories from TI1: Speaking
- Our program from 2008
- Our first announcement 2008