David Benfield Philosophy Essay Prize
Spring 2014 Awards
Two first place prizes, each $200.00*
Two second place prizes, each $100.00*
These awards are made possible through a generous grant from the Fortune Title Agency of Roseland, NJ.
Submission Deadline: April 14, 2014
Essays will be judged by a panel of MSU Philosophy faculty members. Winning essays will be selected on the basis of philosophical content, the rigor of argumentation, and in terms of style and composition.
• Essays on any topic in philosophy may be submitted.
• The author of the essay must be enrolled as a Philosophy Major or Minor at Montclair State University.
• The essay may be a revised course essay or a newly composed essay.
• A student may submit only one paper for consideration per year.
• Essays submitted previously may not be submitted a second time.
• Essays should be formatted properly: standard font, standard margins, double-spaced, etc.
• The length of your submission should be between 2,000 and 3,500 words (approximately 6 - 12 pages).
• Essays must include a proper bibliography.
• Email your essay as an attachment to Tiger Roholt: email@example.com (submit only one of the following file types: “pdf” “doc” “docx” “pages”)
• Essays should be prepared for blind review (The author’s name should not appear anywhere in the paper). The author’s name should appear in the body of the email.
*Funds will be credited to the winner’s account at Montclair State University.