New Programs in Spanish: Effective Fall 2013
New Programs in Spanish: Effective Fall 2013!
New Five Year-Combined BA/MA in Spanish: Earn a BA and MA degree in Spanish in only five years! This exciting new program is designed for students interested in pursuing graduate work in Spanish. Qualified students are accepted into the program in their junior year and begin to take graduate courses in their senior year. Students graduate with a BA upon completion of 120 credits, and then continue to complete graduate work (33 credits) the following year. After only five years of study, students have both degrees.
- This program has many academic benefits: students are able to complete in five years a course of study that currently takes six years as a minimum at Montclair State University. Students interested in pursuing a Ph.D. are eligible to apply for doctoral programs with this combined degree.
- This program is cost-effective: students complete graduate work in a faster period of time than the traditional graduate student at Montclair State University and pay undergraduate tuition fees for all graduate courses taken during the senior year. Department scholarships are available for students enrolled in the BA/MA program.
- This program has many job-market benefits: students with a MA degree are well positioned for jobs in teaching, the publishing industry, cultural organizations, translation work, and employment in study abroad programs.
For more information about entrance requirements and the specifics of the program, please contact: Dr. Linda Gould Levine, email@example.com or Dr. Diana Guemárez-Cruz, firstname.lastname@example.org.
New MA Program in Spanish: The new 33 credit MA program in Spanish includes courses in Latin American and Spanish literature, translation, interpretation, Hispanic linguistics, and special topics in teaching Spanish in K-12.
- Students complete 21 credits in literature courses and 12 credits in electives from among the categories listed above. The diversity in elective credits allows students maximum flexibility and a wide offering of courses in different fields.
- Scholarships and a graduate assistantship are available for this program.
New Graduate Certificate Program in Translation and Interpreting in Spanish: Students who have a BA or equivalent are eligible to apply for this 12 credit program in Translation and Interpreting.
- This program is designed to meet the increasing demand for translators and interpreters in health professions and the law. It provides comprehensive training with emphasis on basic computer translation and terminology skills. It instructs students in the techniques and methods of translation and interpreting--from English to Spanish and Spanish to English--required in medical and legal/judicial settings. The four courses included in the program are: Translation and Health, Translation and the Law, Simultaneous Interpretation, and Consecutive Interpretation.
- Montclair State University has a fully equipped state-of-the-art translation laboratory housing 24 computers and facilities for simultaneous and consecutive interpreting including capacity for 8 interpreters in 4 booths and 24 delegates.
- Following completion of the program, students will possess the necessary skills to be competitive in the job market.
For more information about the specifics of the program, please contact Dr. María José García Vizcaíno, email@example.com