What is a grade grievance?
A grade grievance is a complaint that alleges unfair course grading. Students have the right to pursue the MSU grade grievance procedure to ensure due process.
Goals and Objectives of the MSU Grade Grievance Procedure:
- To insure for every student who feels aggrieved a formal procedure to guarantee due process.
- To insure equitable treatment for all parties concerned and protect the rights of individuals.
- To insure academic freedom as well as academic quality.
- To insure remedy within a reasonable period of time.
To begin the mediation process, students should follow the steps below:
- Step 1: Student should attempt to resolve the issue with the individual faculty member. Student should send an e-mail to the faculty explaining his/her concern and requesting a time to discuss the concern. In some cases, you may choose to visit the faculty member during posted office hours. If the student is unable to reach the faculty member within a two-week period, the student should visit the department to facilitate communication.
- Step 2: If the concern or grade grievance cannot be resolved with the faculty, the student can raise the issue to the department chair or program director.
- Step 3: If the problem remains unresolved after meeting with the department chair or program director, the student can submit an appeal to the CHSS Dean's Office via the grade grievance complaint form.
Grade Grievance Procedure: MSU Policies Student Grade Grievances
Have additional questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org