A degree in Women’s and Gender Studies is perfect for students interested in building well-paying careers that are exciting, fulfilling, and challenging.
- With a background Women’s and Gender Studies graduates are poised to work with advocacy groups, human rights organizations, environmental and consumer groups, health care, and youth, elderly, and social services.
- In understanding the multiple intersections among different forms of oppression (sexism, racism, heterosexism, etc.), you’ll be ready to enter policy and lobbying organizations, research centers, trade and international associations, and union/labor organizing.
- Our graduates' knowledge about power relationships and social injustices can lead to careers in government, politics, or academia.
- The integration of race, class, and gender issues provides a strong preparation for advanced graduate degrees.
- The interdisciplinary nature of Women’s Studies is excellent preparation for careers in research, education and librarianship, which require expertise in finding and using information on contemporary social issues
- With the drive to use their knowledge to change the world in positive, life-affirming ways, many grads work with human rights organizations, environmental groups, and health care agencies.
- Majors feel well prepared to enter the medical professions, where their expanded insight and sensitivity to social concerns prove useful.
- A degree in Women’s and Gender Studies is increasingly relevant and cutting-edge in the legal profession.
Your Skills and Knowledge: What Employers Want
- Analytical/Critical Thinking
Employers want WMGS graduates because of their ability to critically examine and question issues that are usually overlooked—a skill which ultimately makes their work much more thorough and well thought-out.
- Creative Problem Solving
Employers want workers who find creative ways to solve problems, so they look for WMGS graduates, who have demonstrated creative solutions in classroom settings.
- Research and Writing Skills
Because employers desire workers who know how to effectively research, synthesize, interpret and apply information, WMGS grads are ideal job candidates because they possess these skills along with proven writing skills.
- Verbal and Communication Skills
WMGS graduates fulfill employers’ expectations of hiring young leaders who can effectively communicate their professionalism, intelligence and critical thinking skills to specific audiences.
- Team Work
Many employers seek employees who can compromise and work collectively with others. With their backgrounds in discussion-based classes, WMGS grads are ready to be such team players.