Academic Regalia (Cap & Gown)
Please note, regalia is to be worn according to the following regulations:
- For undergraduate Convocations: robe and stole only (no cap)
- For graduate Convocation: robe and cap (no hood)
- For Commencement: full regalia
Students participating in Convocation ceremonies and/or the Commencement exercises are required to wear academic robes.
Bachelor's regalia may be purchased at the University Bookstore during regular store hours May 7 through May 13, as well as on May 22 at the IZOD Center. Eligible bachelor's degree candidates must purchase their regalia in person and will be required to present a valid student I.D. or driver's license at the time of purchase. Bachelor's regalia is $65. All purchases of academic attire are non-refundable.
Master's degree candidates must order their regalia through Herff Jones by Tuesday, March 31, 2015. Master's robes are $75. Orders may be picked up at the University Bookstore during regular store hours as well as on May 22 at the IZOD Center. Master's degree candidates must present a valid student I.D. or driver's license at the time of pick up. No orders will be accepted after March 31, and all purchases of academic attire are non-refundable.
Doctoral candidates participating in the Commencement exercises should contact The Graduate Shool at 973-655-5147 by Friday, March 13.
University Bookstore Hours for Regalia
- Thursday, May 7 – 8:30 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
- Friday, May 8 – 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- Monday, May 11 – 8:30 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, May 12 – 8:30 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, May 13 – 8:30 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Stoles and Hoods
Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Music and Bachelor of Fine Arts candidates do not wear hoods. All bachelor's degree candidates wear a red stole.
The hoods for the master's and doctoral degree candidates are lined with the official colors of Montclair State University, red and white. The colors of the outside trim of the hood associated with each degree are as follows:
- Master of Arts (MA): white
- Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT): light blue
- Master of Business Administration (MBA): light brown
- Master of Education (MEd): light blue
- Master of Fine Arts (MFA): brown
- Master of Science (MS): gold
- Master of Public Health (MPH): salmon pink
- Doctor of Audiology (AuD): gold
- Doctor of Education (EdD): light blue
- Doctor of Environmental Management (DEnvM): gold
- Doctor of Science (ScD): gold
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD): dark blue