About the Department
The Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry is dedicated to teaching chemistry and biochemistry in a stimulating environment that provides ample opportunity for hands-on experimentation and individual research. Our mission is for graduates to be articulate and creative individuals ready for careers or graduate studies in chemistry, biochemistry and the chemistry-based sciences including: medicine, pharmacology, biotechnology and bioengineering.
To achieve these goals, all students involved in our programs can expect to:
- Develop an understanding of the physical and chemical behavior of matter.
- Develop lifelong skills including:
- the ability to think logically and clearly
- to articulate their thoughts
- to critically evaluate experimental data and the scientific literature
- to develop such personal disciplines as organization and time management
- Become prepared for careers and graduate studies in chemistry, biochemistry, and related fields.
Additionally, we offer graduate programs that are highly regarded and prepare graduate students to advance the frontiers of knowledge and to assume positions of leadership as members of the scientific and business communities.
Chemistry and biochemistry forms the core of the physical and life sciences. As a result, the Department is expected to play a central role in the transmission, expansion, and application of knowledge. This is accomplished by promoting the development of a scholarly climate conducive to intellectual growth, providing graduate and undergraduate instruction of the highest quality, offering graduate programs that are highly regarded and fostering significant research and scholarly activities in chemistry, biochemistry and interdisciplinary fields.