K-12 Visiting Scientists Program
Learning is an active process and the K-12 Visiting Scientist Program allows young students to experience the topic at hand and meet and interact with practicing professionals. We know these techniques make learning more real, more interesting and more grounded. Through the Visiting Scientist Program, developed and offered by the College of Science and Mathematics (CSAM) at Montclair State University, we make our faculty, with their diverse experience, available for short-term visits to area schools that generate an atmosphere of inquiry, enthusiasm and challenge students from elementary to high school. Our faculty make themselves available to spend select classroom periods at area K-12 schools to share their research and expertise and most importantly the excitement of being a professional scientist, mathematician, information technologist, or STEM educator. Teachers, principals and superintendents are invited to review the list of outstanding presentations and hands-on activities and demonstrations offered by our CSAM faculty and arrange visits to your school and classrooms.
This program is offered as part of community partnership from the College of Science and Mathematics at Montclair State University. There are no fees for the program.
In order to ensure a rewarding experience for host schools, students and presenters we ask that you follow these guidelines:
- While Visiting Scientist faculty strive to accommodate all requests, for schools residing outside of a 25 mile radius from the University scheduling may be challenging due to teaching commitments and will be at the discretion of the presenter.
- Complete and submit the Request Form (the form will go directly to all requested faculty). Arrangements will be made directly between each presenter and the requestor.
- Once arrangements have been made please plan to confirm the date, time, location and parking details with all presenters the week before a presentation is to be given.
- Plan to discuss any special arrangements the presenter may need in regard to space, and equipment. Some presentations will necessitate arrangements for bringing in numerous and in some cases heavy props.
- If the presenter is scheduled for multiple presentations over the course of a day please let them know where they can find accommodations for rest room facilities, break/prep area and lunch.
- A teacher must remain with the class at all times.
For more information, please email Shari Ferguson-Murtha at firstname.lastname@example.org.