International Conference on Sustainable Development 2012
The Conference Centre
August 01 – 02, 2012
Montclair State University
Montclair, New Jersey, USA.
The International Conference on Sustainable Development 2012 is jointly presented by the International Centre for Interdisciplinary Research in Law (ICIRL), the Centre for Research in Social Justice and Policy (CRSJP) atLaurentian University and the Ontario International Development Agency (OIDA) in Canada, and PSEG Institute for Sustainability Studies, Montclair State University, New Jersey, USA.
A new paradigm for research, education, informed decision making and development of science-based policy is emerging at the very heart of the sustainability transition to reverse non-sustainable trends:
- Reconciling society’s development goals with the planet’s environmental limits
- Understanding the fundamental character of interactions between nature and society
- Advancing the social and technological knowledge related to sustainability, and using such knowledge for action
- Balancing social and environmental well-being, quality of life, and equity with wise-management and conservation of natural resources
- To provide an interdisciplinary forum on global sustainable development for practitioners and academics;
- To foster dialogue among various stakeholders, including senior level policy makers, academics, and practitioners;
- To propose multidisciplinary strategies for economic, sociopolitical, cultural, and institutional changes;
- To allow stakeholders to share their experiences and research results about all aspects of sustainable human and social development;
- To discuss the practical challenges encountered in promoting sustainable development and the solutions adopted; and
- To find global partners for future business or research collaborations.
Call for Papers:
Prospective authors are kindly invited to submit extended abstract or full text papers. Full text papers/abstracts (.doc or .docx) will be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Download the Call for Papers Announcement in PDF Format: Call for Papers.
4th International EcoSummit
September 30 - October 5, 2012
Columbus, Ohio, USA
Special Session: "Restoration Ecology in a Sustainable World"
Michael P. Weinstein
PSEG Institute for Sustainability Studies
Montclair State University, Montclair, NJ 07042
Abstract: Human drivers of Earth System change have brought mankind to the precipice of the planet's sixth mass extinction. Because global patterns of little or no systemic change are often followed by precipitous responses in ES dynamics, mankind's very survival may be threatened. John Peterson Meyers posed the question, “how much of the earth's ecological integrity can we disrupt before we pass a threshold in the loss of life support services?” Humans have placed dramatic pressures on the planet's natural resources: nearly 50% of the land surface has been transformed by human action, half of all freshwater is appropriated for human use, more than 50% of the world's wetlands have been lost, approximately half of all marine food resources are fully exploited, and extinction rates are increasing sharply around the world. Additionally, the 21st century will be characterized by increasingly severe climate change and energy scarcity. The prospects for returning global ecosystem services to sustainable states form the basis for this special session. Invited papers will address ecosystem processes and natural capital through the lens of sustainability and resilience, climate change, energy scarcity, restoration and rehabilitation, system complexity and connectedness, biological invasions and creating the new systems knowledge required for a sustainability transition.
Download Summit Details in PDF Format: 4th International EcoSummit