What it's like to work in the Red Hawk Math Learning Center
- Do you enjoy working with and helping others?
- Are you able to clearly explain information to your fellow classmates?
- Have you been told you are approachable or easy to talk to?
- Do you have a strong mathematics background?
If you answer yes to these questions, the Red Hawk Mathematics Learning Center can be a rewarding place on campus for you to work. Staff at the RHMLC will be in the front lines helping fellow students succeed in their mathematics coursework. We are seeking responsible, caring and motivated students who enjoy working with others and have excellent communication skills.
The following positions will be available in the Mathematics Learning Center each semester.
Learning Center Assistants (LCA)
Learning Center Assistants report to the Director of the RHMLC. Primary responsibilities:
- staffing the check in desk
- generating reports if asked to do so by the Director
- assist students who are having technical difficulties with computers
- directing students the correct areas within the Center
- answering general questions about the RHMLC
- answering telephone at the reception station and other tasks as needed and assigned by the Director
LCAs are expected to be courteous to all students and dress in an appropriate manner for work. LCAs complete a training session with the Director prior to the first day of the semester. This position is open to all majors.
Undergraduate & Graduate Tutors (UT & GT)
Undergraduate Tutors are an integral part of the success of students in the Red Hawk Mathematics Learning Center. While a student with a major in mathematics is an ideal candidate, all applicants to the UT position should have mathematics experience through Calculus or advanced Statistics (beyond Math 109). GTs should have a strong background in mathematics and statistics. Applicants to either position should be:
- friendly and courteous to all students
- willing to assist other students questions
- have strong communication skills
- ability to follow directions of instructors and graduate assistants working in the RHMLC
Tutors are required to complete in-person and online training during the month prior to the first day of the semester.
Graduate Assistants are assigned to the Red Hawk Mathematics Learning Center by the Chair of the Mathematics Department, Helen Roberts.
Please contact the RHMLC director at email@example.com regarding current job openings and pay rates.