Location, Hours, and Policies
The Red Hawk Mathematics Learning Center (RHMLC) is located on the third floor of Conrad J. Schmitt Hall and comprises rooms 327, 329 and 352, as well as a variety of offices and small tutoring rooms on the third floor nearby the Center.
Students who wish to “drop-in” for times that are not designated as drop-in hours should inquire with an on call lab assistant or instructor to determine if there are any available computers for use on math coursework.
The RHMLC is a mathematics classroom. Only mathematics course work may be completed while in the RHMLC. Students are not permitted to use the computers in the Center for any other course work, email or attending to social media sites.
To promote the opportunity for all students to work free of unnecessary distractions, the following policies have been instituted:
- Your time in the Red Hawk Mathematics Learning Center (RHMLC) is devoted to your math coursework. You should appreciate the time to work on problems and get on demand assistance during each 75 minute session.
- Computers in the RHMLC are reserved for registered students during each class block. You may ask to work longer in the RHMLC during another class time if a computer is available. Please see a staff member to make for assistance. NOTE: Students registered for that time are given priority on computers.
- Defacing the computers, desks or facility in any way will be reported to Montclair State University police. Please respect the Learning Center and make it a place everyone can utilize and enjoy. The University's "Guidelines for Appropriate Computing Behavior" also apply in the RHMLC.
- Be patient while waiting for assistance in the RHMLC. Your questions will not be overlooked and our tutors and staff members will help you as soon as possible. If you feel over looked, please find a supervisor to discuss problems and do not harass a tutor or fellow students.
- Doors are closed and locked at the end of the day and all students must vacate the premises when asked by any staff member. You may not work in the RHMLC when it is not supervised by a staff member.
- Absolutely no cellular phone or portable electronic device usage in the Learning Center, this includes phone calls, texting, internet usage and cell phone calculator usage!
- Non-course related emails are NOT allowed in the Learning Center. To email your instructor, use the email feature in MyMathLab.
- Social Media Sites are prohibited. Your Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, Google+, etc. accounts should be updated on your own time and NOT in the Learning Center!!
- No Food and Drink allowed. In effort to keep the Learning Center clean and functioning well for students, food and drink are not allowed while working on the computers in the Learning Center. Note: There are areas in Conrad J. Schmitt Hall where you can relax and enjoy a drink or snack, however this should be enjoyed when you are not scheduled for class!
- Failure to comply with these policies will result in removal from the Learning Center and loss of credit for assignments and attendance.