How to Apply
About the Science Honors Innovation Program (SHIP)
SHIP is a research intensive program for undergraduates majoring in one of the CSAM disciplines that provides a wealth of opportunities for students to conduct research and to become deeply involved in the local and global research community.
The SHIP program is an unparalleled opportunity for undergraduates to get involved in the research community, get a head start on graduate school, and to compete for awards, fellowships and admission to top PhD programs.
- A 2-page proposal in word/pdf format. The mentors are encouraged to help with the proposal but it must be written primarily by the student. The proposal should discuss ONLY the work that will be performed and preferably in sufficiently general terms that it can be understood, even by a physicist. Please DO NOT include a research or travel budget in this portion of the writeup. Funding for research and travel can be requested at a later time.
- Electronic copy of current MSU transcript. Unofficial scanned copies are fine. Optionally, for transfer students, copies of their transcripts from previous institutions can also be included. High school transcripts should NOT be submitted.
- Once the student uploads these documents along with providing some other preliminary information, the mentor will be notified and asked to separately upload their recommendation letter. Only one recommendation from the mentor is required. The application is formally complete upon submission of the letter.
- Hard copies, emails or late applications will NOT be accepted.
- DO NOT include a budget statement. If you are accepted to the program, you will be asked to provide a budget statement by the end of fall.
- Late applications received after May 19th will not be accepted.
- Students are required to part of the SHIP program for 2 years.
Questions? Email: email@example.com