Program Types/ Graduate Matriculation Status

A 2.5 cumulative undergraduate GPA (4.00 scale) in all courses is required for admission to the post-baccalaureate instructional certification programs. A 2.7 cumulative undergraduate GPA (4.000) in all courses is required for admission to the Masters of Arts in Teaching.
Master's degree candidates and Post-BA certification candidates who have been evaluated through the Office of the Registrar for New Jersey certificates must complete an "Application for Certification" and pay the required fees ($50/$60 for each certificate), at the Office of the Registrar during the following periods:

  • October 15-November 15 for January graduation
  • March 15-April 15 for May graduation
  • July 1- August 1 for August graduation

Certificates will be sent to students from the State Department of Education in Trenton approximately two months after the date of conferment.

New Jersey Teacher Testing Program: The New Jersey State Board of Education requires that applicants for most certificates pass the appropriate Praxis II tests. Scores (pass or fail) must be submitted to the Graduate School as a part of the students application package. MAT and Post-BA certification students who have not passed the required Praxis II Subject Assessment test BUT WHO MEET ALL OTHER ADMISSIONS CRITERIA may take no more than 12 graduate level credits until they pass the required Praxis II Subject Assessment test. Printed information about the test requirement is available by calling the New Jersey State Department of Education at (609) 292-2070, or by visiting their Web site at: This information is also posted on the bulletin board outside room 103, Chapin Hall.

Other Certification: Students seeking certification through professional associations (e.g. American Dietetic Association, National Association of Music Therapy, Inc.) should apply directly to the appropriate association.

Once admitted to candidacy, Doctoral students may commence work on their dissertation. Continuous enrollment is required until all degree requirements have been met or the students candidacy has been terminated. Continuous enrollment requires enrollment for three (3) semester hours per semester. After being admitted to candidacy, if students do not enroll in a specific semester, a continuous enrollment fee equivalent to three (3) semester hours of credit will be charged to the student.

Once Committee approval (and IRB approval if necessary) of the Dissertation Proposal is received students must register for a minimum of three dissertation credits (xxxx900) during the semesters in which they are engaged in work on their dissertation. Once all other course work is completed, continuous matriculation requires a minimum of three dissertation credits completed each semester up to and including the semester in which they successfully defend the dissertation. The number of dissertation credits registered for each semester should be arrived at through a deliberation between the student and dissertation chair regarding the amount of students time devoted toward the dissertation in that semester.

Students in a master's degree program must complete at least six credits in each academic year (Fall/Spring/Summer), and must be continuously enrolled in the Fall and Spring semesters until completion of all requirements for graduation. In order to be considered continuously enrolled, students who do not register for a course in either the Fall or Spring semesters must register for a zero-credit (0 cr) Continuous Enrollment course (GRADMC1) in that semester and pay a continue enrollment fee. This course is not part of the degree program and is not assigned a grade. Under very specific and limited conditions, beyond the control of the student, the Graduate Dean may waive the Continuous Enrollment fee.

Students must register for this course at least one week prior to the start of classes. Students who remain unregistered in any given semester will be assessed the fee, and a hold will be place on their registration. This hold will be removed after the fee is paid, and upon the recommendation of the Graduate Program Coordinator to the Graduate School.

Students can register for this course for up to four consecutive semesters, after which they will be withdrawn from the program and must reapply.

Full-time graduate students must be registered for a minimum of nine (9) credits per semester with a maximum of fifteen (15) credits allowed. To maintain part-time status, graduate students must take less than nine (9) credits per semester.

A graduate assistant, is considered a full-time student, and must register for a minimum of nine (9) credits per semester. Graduate assistants may not register for more than twelve (12) semester hours without approval from The Graduate School.

Graduate students admitted to the university are expected to enroll in courses the designated semester of admittance, and to register for courses before the beginning of said semester. Students may submit a request to the Graduate Program Director (GPC) or the Doctoral Program Director (DPD) who will in turn notify the Graduate School to defer matriculation at the time of admission to a program.

1. Regular Admission/Full Matriculation
Regular admission and full matriculation will be granted to applicants who meet the minimum admissions criteria, in addition to special program criteria where applicable, successful completion of an interview and acceptance by the doctoral program advisor and coordinator.

1. Regular Admission/Full Matriculation
Regular admission and full matriculation will be granted to applicants when the following have been met:
a. Minimum criteria for admission.
b. Special Guideline criteria have been met where applicable.
c. Interview and acceptance by GPC or faculty adviser.

2. Deferred Matriculation
This status is for students who meet the minimum criteria for full matriculation, but have been judged to have insufficient academic background for the program to which they applied. Requirements for full matriculation will be specified by the graduate advisor and approved by The Graduate School. This status in not available to doctoral students.

Matriculation will be deferred until courses taken to overcome the academic background insufficiency (usually undergraduate courses) are completed with a minimum GPA of 3.0. These courses will not be credited toward the graduate degree. The terms of the deferment must be completed within three semesters (excluding summer sessions) of the date on which the deferred status was granted. It is the students responsibility to meet with their graduate advisor to request full matriculation.

3. Conditional Matriculation
This status is granted to a student who holds a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university, but who, in the judgment of the GPC, should not be granted full matriculation for any or all of the conditions listed below:
a. The students undergraduate grades overall or in specific courses is marginal.
b. The students scores on the GRE or other examinations are marginal.
c. The GPC wishes to assess the student's level of competency prior to recommending full matriculation.
d. The student was dismissed from another graduate program at Montclair State University.
e. The student is a doctoral student.

The reclassification from conditional admission to full matriculation will be granted when the following conditions are met:
a. The student fulfills all conditions for admission. This may include retaking the GRE or other examinations; taking prescribed courses to establish an acceptable GPA; completing other requirements specified by the GPC.
b. The student achieves a minimum of 3.0 in all courses taken as part of the condition.
c. The student fulfills the terms of the conditional admission within three semesters (excluding summer session) of the date when the conditional status was granted.
d. The student files a "Petition for Reclassification" with The Graduate School. The form is available at The Graduate School, CO 203 or is downloadable at: The petition is forwarded to the appropriate department chairperson or GPC who forwards a decision to the The Graduate School. It is the responsibility of the student to file the appropriate forms required to change admission classification.

There are two classifications of non-degree: professional or general.
The general non-degree classification is used for students who are unsure which graduate program to pursue, but are interested in taking one or two classes. General non-degree students are eligible to take up to six (6) credits of coursework provided pre-requisites are met. Students may only transfer a maximum of six (6) credits of general non-degree coursework to a graduate degree program.
The professional non-degree classification is designed for those students who are NOT interested in earning a graduate degree and belong to one of the following categories:
- Seeking career advancement or professional development;
- Satisfying accreditation/licensure requirements;
- Applying for certification through the State of New Jersey;
- Taking undergraduate courses to prepare for a graduate degree program.