Outgoing Mail Options
Items sent to Mail Services for metering should be packaged carefully to avoid damage in transit. Proper mailing containers are available through University Mail Services by calling (973) 655-6834 or by asking your route driver.
Separating mail by service class is also important. Outgoing U.S. Mail should be separated from internal campus mail. International mail should be separated from domestic mail.
Central Mail Services does not charge a fee to departments for metering outgoing letter mail; units are charged for actual postage.
- All campus mail should be enclosed in the reusable inter-office envelopes, not in white or first-class envelopes.
- This will cut the cost of campus mail, prevent delays in handling, and eliminate the possibility of campus mail being inadvertently metered and mailed out.
- Reduced costs - since the envelopes can be re-used several times.
- Saving staff time – inter departmental envelopes are designed to be hand written rather than typed.
- Reduces paper refuse as these envelopes are designed to be used many times.
- Reduces the possibility of postage error - Use of inter departmental envelopes reduces the chance of wasted postage.
- Extreme caution is to be exercised when using the Inter-Office envelope, taking care that all previous markings have been crossed out to ensure proper handling to the intended recipient.
- The addressee is always to appear on the last line, do not address between previous markings.
- If confidentiality is a factor, place the material in a regular, sealed, business envelope before placing it in an inter-office envelope. While this may seem to be a duplication of work, it eliminates the possibility of mailing out interdepartmental mail.
Example of properly addressed inter-office envelope:
Class of Mail
1 - 5 days
|Items such as statements, invoices, and typed material.|
1 - 10 days
|Printed matter which does not require 1st class.|
5 - 10 days
|Printed matter of Non-Profit Bulk. A minimum of 200 identical mailing pieces or 50 pounds.|
|Money-back guaranteed overnight next day service|
1 - 5 days
|Same as 1st class, no declared value. A signature is required.|
US Postal Rates
Now you can calculate postage right from your computer.
Select the type of service for your mailing needs. Have size, shape, weight and ZIP Code information ready. Find a Zip Code
Calculate Domestic & International Postage
Easily calculate postage rates and estimated delivery times.
Calculate Business Postage
Calculate domestic postage for all volume discount mail
US Postal Service all rates and fees.
Any mailable matter may be mailed as first-class mail. The following examples are considered first-class matter and must carry postage at first-class or priority rates.
First-Class Mail includes:
- First-Class Mail cards
- The least expensive, most immediate way to reach someone
- First-Class Mail letters
- Everyday letter mail. Affix a stamp, and drop it in the mailbox.
- First-Class Mail envelopes
- Mail lots of material in large envelopes
- Fist-Class Mail packages
- Letters, envelopes, and small packages weighing 13 ounces or less
- Postcards, letters, and large envelopes
- Handwritten or typewritten letters
- Business correspondence
- Business invoices
- Bills and statements of account
- Price lists
- Blank printed forms filled out in writing
- Advertisements and lightweight merchandise
The weight limit for First-Class Mail is 13 ounces. For heavier items, use Priority Mail.
Priority Mail is available for packages weighing up to 70 pounds. Priority Mail has an expected delivery time of 2-3 days.
- Delivery to every address in the United States.
- Delivery to PO Boxes.
- Saturday and residential deliveries at no extra cost.
- Flat rate boxes are available in two different sizes at no extra cost.
- Maximum weight is 70 pounds.
- The maximum size is 108 inches in length and distance around the thickest part combined.
- The shipments are not trackable.
- Delivery Confirmation can be used to notify you when a package has been received.
Calculate Priority Mail Rates
Express Mail provides overnight service for letters, business documents, and parcels. This method provides tracking using a unique shipping number. Destinations may be to any domestic or international mailing address.
- Guaranteed next-day and second-day delivery nationwide or your money back
- Includes tracking, proof of delivery, and insurance up to $100
- Additional insurance up to $5,000 may be purchased for merchandise
- Express Mail service is available 365 days a year with no extra charge for Saturday, Sunday, and holiday delivery
- Express Mail envelopes and boxes are available at no charg
- All packages must use an Express Mail label
- The maximum weight is 70 pounds
Calculate Express Mail Rates
Certified Mail provides the sender with a mailing receipt, and a record of delivery is maintained at the recipient's post office for two years. A return receipt to provide you with proof of delivery can be obtained for an additional fee.
- Certified Mail service is available only for First Class Mail and Priority Mail.
- You receive a receipt stamped with the date of mailing.
- Recipient’s signature is obtained at the time of delivery
- No insurance coverage is provided.
- A numbered certified label and completed receipt must be affixed.
- You can obtain labels from Mail Services.
Fee in addition to postage.
For an additional fee, you can request a copy of the signature record before or after delivery with Return Receipt.
A Return Receipt provides the sender a postcard or electronic notification, via fax or email, with the date of delivery and recipient's signature.
- A Return Receipt may be requested at the time of mailing or after mailing.
- When requested at the time of mailing, it also provides the recipient's actual delivery address if different from the address used by the sender.
- Customers purchasing a Return Receipt at the time of mailing may choose to receive it by mail or electronically. An electronic Return Receipt is available at most Post Offices and are not available when a mailpiece is sent to APO or FPO addresses or U.S. territories, possessions, and freely associated states.
- Return Receipts are available for Express Mail (by mail only), First-Class Mail, Priority Mail, Parcel Post, Bound Printed Matter, or Media Mail when purchased with one of the following: Certified Mail, COD, mail insured for more than $50, and Registered Mail.