Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I get around campus?
- How can I get around campus if I am disabled?
- How can I get to campus without a car?
- How can I get into town for shopping, restaurants or movies if I don't have a car?
- How can I get into NYC, Hoboken, or Philly?
- How can I get home using public transit?
- Can visitors ride the shuttles?
- Can I get a discounted NJ Transit pass?
- How can I plan a trip if I don't know which routes to take?
You can make arrangements for the Persons with Disabilities (PWD) Shuttle to transport you.
If you are a student and you have appropriate documentation from a physician, the University’s Disability Resource Center authorizes students to ride the Persons with Disabilities Shuttle. Faculty and staff with appropriate documentation from a physician can receive authorization from the Human Resources and Employee Benefits Office.
The PWD Shuttle transports passengers between campus locations and will pick-up/drop-off passengers as close to one's building as possible; however, please note that vehicles are not permitted to access the main campus core. This service operates Monday to Friday, 7:30 a.m. until 11:00 p.m. To schedule a ride, please contact us at 973-655-3326 or email@example.com. See our list of PDW drop-off locations to find out where the PWD Shuttle can transport passengers.
For information on the requirements for ADA complementary paratransit, please see page 27 of the Rider's Guide to Public Transit for People with Disabilities.
Train: The Montclair State University NJ Transit train station on Clove Road and the Montclair Heights Station on Normal Avenue, provide rail service to New York City and the following New Jersey municipalities along the Montclair-Boonton line: Hackettstown, Netcong, Mount Olive, Lake Hopatcong, Dover, Denville, Mountain Lakes, Boonton, Towaco, Lincoln Park, Wayne, Little Falls, Montclair, Bloomfield, Glen Ridge, Newark (Broad St.), and Hoboken. In addition, through the Secaucus Junction transfer station, there is access to the Northeast Corridor, North Jersey Coastline, Main and Bergen, and Pascack Valley Lines. We encourage members of the community to explore rail use to and from the University as a viable travel option. For additional information, please check NJ Transit's train schedules.
Bus: NJ Transit Bus No. 11/28 serves the University, originating at the Bloomfield Ave. station, and also serves Wayne, the Willowbrook Mall Park and Ride, Little Falls, Cedar Grove, Verona, Montclair, Glen Ridge, and Bloomfield.
NJ Transit Bus No. 191 serves the University bus stop at the Red Hawk Deck and the Montclair Heights train station, making stops between New York's Port Authority Bus Terminal and Willowbrook.
NJ Transit Bus No. 705 originates at Main Street and Passaic Avenue in Passaic and travels through Clifton to Montclair State University. From the west, NJ Transit Bus No. 705 originates at Willowbrook Mall and travels to Montclair State University.
For additional information, visit http://www.njtransit.com and click "Bus Schedules"
DeCamp Bus No. 66 leaves from New York's Port Authority Bus Terminal and selected runs stop on campus at the Red Hawk Deck on weekdays. Check the schedule.
Carpool: Use MSU’s Carpool Directory to connect with other people who are making the same trip.
Saturday Shopping Shuttle: During the Fall and Spring semesters, MSU runs a shuttle on Saturdays that transports students from campus (the Red Hawk Deck shuttle stop) into Montclair Township and to Clifton Commons shopping center. Check the schedule.
Zipcar: MSU has Zipcars located on campus in parking lot 20.
Train: On weekdays, catch the train from either the Montclair Heights station on Normal Ave. or the Montclair State University station on Clove Rd. Board on the eastbound (towards Newark/New York/Hoboken) platform to the following stations:
- Mountain Ave.: This train station is located on Upper Mountain Avenue and provides quick access to the Presby Memorial Iris Gardens, Mountainside Pool and Tennis Courts.
- Upper Montclair: This train station is across the street from the Bellevue Theater as well as a short walk from many shops, restaurants, Anderson Park, King's Super Market and A&P Grocery Store on Valley Road.
- Watchung Avenue: This station is in Watchung Plaza which holds a variety of shops, services and restaurants.
- Walnut Street or Bay Street: The Walnut Street area also has a variety of shops, services and restaurants. Both of these stations are a short walk from the "Montclair Center" area of downtown Montclair. This area along Bloomfield Ave. has a wide variety of shops, services and restaurants. Additionally, from Bloomfield Avenue, a number of buses may be taken - the NJ Transit 28/11, 29, 34, 97 and the Decamp 33 all run along Bloomfield Avenue.
To get back to campus, you will board on the westbound platform (towards Dover/Hackettstown).
For other stops along the Montclair-Boonton Line (Glen Ridge, Bloomfield, Newark, and Secaucus), transfer or fare information, please check the schedule.
Bus: You can catch several buses at the Red Hawk Deck.
- NJ Transit Bus 11/28 serves the University, Wayne, the Willowbrook Mall Park and Ride, Little Falls, Cedar Grove, Verona, Montclair, Glen Ridge, and Bloomfield.
- To get into Montclair Township, board the 28 headed towards Newark. This route leaves campus, heads down Valley Rd, turns left onto Watchung Ave and then continues down Park St. until it reaches Bloomfield Ave where it turns left and continues into Newark.
- To get back to campus, simply board the 28 headed towards Montclair State University. The bus stop to get back is generally located across the street from the stop where you got off the bus.
- NJ Transit Bus 705 originates at Main Street and Passaic Avenue in Passaic and travels through Clifton to Montclair State University. From the west, NJ Transit Bus No. 705 originates at Willowbrook Mall and travels to Montclair State University.
- NJ Transit Bus 191 serves the University bus stop at the Red Hawk Deck and the Montclair Heights train station, making stops between New York's Port Authority Bus Terminal and Willowbrook.
Additional bus schedules are available on NJ Transit's website.
Train: On weekdays, catch the train from the Montclair Heights station on Normal Ave. or the MSU train station on Clove Rd. These trains go directly to NYC and Hoboken, with stops at Newark Broad Street and Secaucus.
To get to Philadelphia, on weekdays, take the train to Secaucus and transfer to the Northeast Corridor Line (NEC) towards Trenton. In Trenton, you can switch to SEPTA which will take you into Center City Philadelphia.
Make sure you check the schedule to ensure that you are on the correct train.
There is no weekend train service at MSU or Montclair Heights.
To get to Philadelphia, on weekdays, take the 28 bus to Newark Penn Station and transfer to the Northeast Corridor Line (NEC) towards Trenton. In Trenton, you can switch to SEPTA which will take you into Center City Philadelphia.
Find Service Near a Location: Enter an address in NJ Transit's Service Locator and you will be provided with information on which transit services are available near that address.
Try the Trip Planner: NJ Transit’s Trip Planner will calculate a route and the fare between two addresses or stations.
Train: Trains from the Montclair Heights station on Normal Ave. and the MSU train station on Clove Rd. head east into NYC and Hoboken, with stops at Newark Broad Street and Secaucus where connections to other services can be made; and west towards Hackettstown. Check the schedule. There is no weekend train service at MSU or Montclair Heights.
Plane: Newark Liberty Airport (EWR) can be accessed via bus and/or train. On weekdays, take the train from campus to Secaucus and transfer to the NEC train with EWR listed. On weekends, take the 28 bus to Newark Penn Station then transfer to a train line with EWR listed.
Yes. Visitors may ride the campus Shuttle Bus Service free of charge. Please check the schedules to determine which route you should take. All University shuttle buses are equipped with wheelchair lifts and are accessible to the disabled.
For disabled visitors to campus, shuttle service can be arranged by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 973-655-3326. This service is available Mondays – Fridays 7:30 a.m. – 11:00 p.m. and upon a pre-arrangement for groups attending special events on campus during weekends.
Montclair State University full-time undergraduate and graduate students are eligible to receive a rail, bus, or light rail monthly pass at 25% off of the regular monthly pass price, when they enroll online through NJ Transit’s Quik-Tik program. Please visit http://www.montclair.edu/njtransit
If you are unsure of the route that will get you to your destination, you can use NJ Transit's Trip Planner.