Outside Cooking Permits

Because barbecues present a hazard, a permit and an inspection by the Department of Fire Safety are required for campus groups, organizations, departments, offices, or other bodies to hold barbecues.

Please read the following information about barbeque cooking safety and submit an application by using the link at the bottom of this page:

Barbecue Grill Safety Guidelines

  • Obtain permission for barbecuing prior to your event from the Department of Fire Safety.
  • Obtain a fire extinguisher from the Department of Fire Safety prior to your event and have it readily available during your event. Never take an extinguisher from a building, unless an emergency necessitates it.
  • Position the grill well away from siding, deck railings, and out from under eaves and overhanging branches.
  • Place the grill a safe distance from lawn games, play areas, and foot traffic.
  • Watch your food! Always pay attention to your food to prevent it from burning.
  • Use long-handled grilling tools, to give the chef plenty of clearance from heat and flames when cooking food.
  • Periodically remove grease or fat buildup in trays below grill, so it cannot be ignited by a hot grill.
  • Use only outdoors! If used indoors, or in any enclosed spaces, barbecue grills pose both a fire hazard and the risk of exposing occupants to carbon monoxide.

Charcoal Grills

  • Purchase the proper starter fluid and store out of reach of children and away from heat sources.
  • Never add charcoal starter fluid when coals or kindling have already been ignited, and never use any flammable or combustible liquid other than charcoal starter fluid to get the fire going.
  • Starter fluids are prohibited from being stored within any campus building.
  • After you are done cooking, place coals in a metal container and fill the container with water, to ensure that the coals are completely extinguished.

Propane Grills

  • Check the propane cylinder hose for leaks before using it for the first time each year. A light soap and water solution applied to the hose will reveal escaping propane quickly by releasing bubbles.
  • If you determined your grill has a gas leak by smell or the soapy bubble test and there is no flame:
    • Turn off the propane tank and grill.
    • If the leak stops, get the grill serviced by a professional before using it again.
    • If the leak does not stop, call University Police at (973) 655-5222.
  • If you smell gas while cooking, immediately get away from the grill and call University Police at (973) 655-5222. Do not attempt to move the grill.
  • All propane cylinders manufactured after April 2002 must have overfill protection devices (OPD). OPDs shut off the flow of propane before capacity is reached, limiting the potential for release of propane gas if the cylinder heats up. OPDs are easily identified by their triangular-shaped hand wheel.
  • Use only equipment bearing the mark of an independent testing laboratory. Follow the manufacturers' instructions on how to set up the grill and maintain it.
  • Never store propane cylinders in buildings or garages.

Request an Outdoor Cooking Permit.

Hot Work Permits

Many departments and contractors have to perform “hot work” as part of their duties on campus.  This work creates a possible hazard to not only the workers, but also to the building occupants.  Because of this, the Department of Fire Safety strictly controls all “hot work” performed in the buildings and grounds of Montclair State University, with the exception of hot work performed by physical plant staff.  Depending on where the work is performed, what type of work is being performed, and what the University is statutorily required to do, additional costs may be incurred for this work.  The requesting department may be billed for services rendered due to these obligations. 

Request a Hot Work Permit.

Red Tag Permits

Red Tag Permits are used when components to the University’s fire sprinkler systems are disabled for construction, renovations, and other similar work.  Because of the nature of this permit, the applicant must demonstrate an absolute need for the impairment of these systems.  Additionally, it is important that as much time as possible is allotted for these permits to be issued, as the Department of Fire Safety is responsible for coordinating the system shut downs with various University and external departments and agencies.  Depending on where the work is performed, what type of work is being performed, and what the University is statutorily required to do, additional costs may be incurred for this work.  The requesting department may be billed for services rendered due to these obligations. 

Request a Red Tag Permit.

Tent Permits

When tents are erected on our campus, they are often subject to inspection by the State Division of Fire Safety or from various code compliance offices within Montclair State University.  The purpose of the tent permit application is to determine whether the tent will require an inspection from the State, our department, or another department; it is also intended to aid the requester in the obtainment of a permit from the State Division of Fire Safety, should one be needed, as the permit application supplies all the information that we need.  In the event that the State of New Jersey is not obligated to perform a tent inspection, the University’s Department of Fire Safety will perform the inspection.  As a result of a State or other inspections, additional fees may be incurred for the erection of a tent; this permit application will help the campus community in determining the level of inspection and any associated fees required.  To help us in coordinating your tent permits, this application should be filed at least twenty days prior to your event. 

Request a Tent Permit.

Theatrical Permits

In an effort to comply with the Department of Fire Safety’s obligation to ensure the safety of our campus community and to comply with the request from the State Division of Fire Safety that we ensure that all theatrical performances are inspected, we have developed this application to streamline the notification and inspection process.  To hold or host a theatrical performance on our campus, please Request a Theatrical Performance Permit.