Financial Aid Checklist
Helpful Hints for Completing the FAFSA
- Make sure that you have the necessary tools to do the job. You’ll need copies of taxes for yourself, and if you are a dependent student, your parent's (IRS Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ). You will also need records of untaxed income or benefits and current bank, savings or investment information.
- Read and carefully follow the instructions on the application form. Answer all applicable questions completely and accurately. DO NOT guess.
- Be certain that your social security number is correct.
- Montclair State participates in the Direct Loan Program. You do not have to contact or apply to a lending institution for student loans. If you want to be considered for student loans as part of your aid package, indicate your interest on your FAFSA/Renewal FAFSA. Your award letter will show the amount you are eligible to borrow.
Financial Aid Application Information
- Student financial aid from grants, scholarships or need-based work (Federal Work Study) reported as income on your federal income tax return, may be excluded from your income for financial aid purposes.
- Be sure to designate Montclair State (our school code is 002617) as one of your school choices so we will receive your application information from the federal processor.
- You will need to complete additional information for the State of New Jersey, Higher Education Student Assistance Authority so that you can be considered for Tuition Aid Grant (TAG). You need to go to www.hesaa.org as early as possible and complete this information so you don’t miss out on this program! The application deadline for first-time recipients is October 1st; for continuing students the deadline is June 1st.
- Keep a copy of all materials you submit.
- Finally, and most important, ASK QUESTIONS about anything you don’t understand.
Financial Aid Application Checklist
Please use this checklist to help keep record of your financial aid application. Remember to fill in dates when necessary.
1. As soon after January 1st as possible (but at least by MARCH 15th):
- Apply via www.fafsa.ed.gov which is the fastest and most accurate way to apply. Make sure you and, if applicable, your parents have applied for and received your PIN to sign the form. You can apply for a PIN at www.pin.ed.gov. Date completed: ___/___/___
Our preferred application date is March 15. If your FAFSA is submitted to the federal processor by that date, you will not miss out on any aid for which you are otherwise eligible.
2. Four/six weeks after submitting the FAFSA:
- You will receive your Student Aid Report (SAR). Date received: ___/___/___. (If you do not receive your SAR in four/six weeks, call 1-800-4-FEDAID.)
- If all items on the SAR are correct, you do not need to do anything. Retain your SAR for your records. If you indicate Montclair State University, we will receive your information electronically. Our Code is 002617.
- If any item on the SAR is incorrect, follow the instructions on Part 2 for making corrections. You can use the PIN sent to you by the Department of Education to make corrections online and have them processed in three days or less. Changes to student data will not require a separate signature. Date returned to federal processor: ___/___/___
- Receive corrected SAR. Date received: ___/___/___
- If requested by Montclair State University, supply additional information, forms or documentation for Verification or to resolve questions about your application. Date mailed: ___/___/___
3. After April 1:
- Receive Financial Aid award letter. Date received: ___/___/___
- Accept, reduce or decline loans and work study awards offered. Date mailed: ___/___/___
4. If you receive a private scholarship or grant:
- Notify the Office of Student Financial Aid; include a copy of the award letter or certificate.