Satisfactory Academic Progress Regulations
All students enrolled in undergraduate, graduate, and certificate programs must maintain certain requirements to remain eligible for Federal and State Financial Aid. Please be aware that Montclair State University's policies relating to Student Academic Standing are completely separtate from the financial aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Policies. Federal regulations require that all students who receive financial aid must maintain satisfactory academic progress (SAP). Therefore, a student who is granted an appeal by the University's Academic Standing Committee may still be determined ineligible for financial aid funding.
For the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) details for your student status, please read the SAP Policy.
SAP Appeal Process:
- You must sumbit a Satisfactory Academic Progress letter of appeal to have your financial aid eligibility re-evaluated. All appeals for 2015-2016 financial aid eligibility must be submitted by the required deadline. NO LATE FORMS WILL BE ACCEPTED. Late appeals will be automatically denied.
- Students must answer BOTH of the following questions (failure to do so will result in a denied appeal):
- In detail, why did you fail to make satisfactory academic progress this past academic year?
- In detail, what changes have (or will occur) to ensure you are making progress for the next academic year?
- Please provide any necessary documentation to support the reason for your failure to make satisfactory academic progress (ie: proof of hospitalization, doctor’s note, etc).
- Appeal must be typed and postmarked, faxed to 973-655-7712 or handed in to the Office of Financial Aid in College Hall rm 208 by the deadline - NO EXCEPTIONS (Be sure to include your name and CWID on your letter of appeal).
- Students will be notified of decisions during August.
- Students that successfully appeal Satisfactory Academic Progress will be placed on an academic plan with the Center for Advising and Student Transitions, Academic Success and Retention Programs, Educational Opportunity Program, Athletics or with another department with which the student is affiliated.
- Students must follow the plan in order to stay eligible for financial aid. If a student does not follow the plan they will lose all aid eligibility.
- All students must complete an academic plan for the Fall semester by the end of the add/drop period.
- If a student does complete an academic plan, their SAP will be reviewed at the end of each semester stated on the plan.
- Academic plans will only be for one academic year and then revisited
Readmitted/ Re-enrolled Students:
- Any student readmitted or re-enrolled at Montclair State University after a period of non-attendance will have their Academic Porgress evaluated to determine if they are eligible for aid based on the SAP policy.
- If a student is not eligible for aid, they may file an appeal as stated above.